Other Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopfan said:
This looks sweet. Post some pics or drawings of the wing design when you have time. I'd love to see that. Many, many years ago, one of the guys in the club I used to fly with designed an experimental with a front opening flap on the front of the wings. Most guys bet that when he deployed, it would fly underground. It had an amazing lift characteristic, but the drag was real high and made it unstable at lower speeds in wind. Cool experiment though.

Yeah, drag is a big issue, but most planes in this category have around 55-80 sq ft of wing area, so even with the high drag, the surface area of my design is pretty tiny (34sqft). Just standing next to the wing, I think to myself, "Uhh.. this is it? 7.75 feet outward from the cockpit? That's all the wing I've got?" But the math says it'll fly... and so everything is scaled way the heck down and that should help. I agree that if you stick a 60 sqft wing on a low-powered plane and try to have a flaps set up like this, you're beggin for trouble, but my calculations say that with everything deployed, it should still have less drag than some ultralights with similar HP numbers. It's only when the flaps and gear come up that things should get exciting. ;)

The real problem is going to be the forces on the tail. Flaps cause the center of lift to go backwards on the wing and this shifts the CG more forward (relatively speaking), so you need more down elevator to compensate. A big elevator with large control surfaces negate the gains you get from the tiny wing, etc... It's all a big balancing act. If I can keep the plane under 450lbs, everything will be good.

I like to play Firefighter and EMT in myspare time, the rest of the time I spend in the woods with my kids Geocaching, hunting, fishing and brewing for the guys on my department. My wife says that I never have any spare time.

Raising 1 child, another on way.
Building an extension on the house
Walking dog (Border collie - takes a lot of exercise!)
Fishing
Horse racing (SWMBO side has horses)
Trying to finish the big crossword in the sunday paper (just once, that is all i need and I will never attempt it again!!!)
Drinking enough beer to warrent thinking about running :drunk:

I do some home improvement - just finished my basement bathroom and just started studding out the rest of it. Besides that, I don't do much - with work, school and working on my MBA, I don't have much free time.

I like all sorts of games, but at this point, online Risk is about all I ever play

Hopfan said:
Why don't you guys do a video diary and submit it to Discovery and/or the Outdoor channel? This cuts across all the stereotypes and I bet that everyone would watch. The HomeBrewTalk members alone would boost the ratings.

Because, quite frankly, we're not that interesting really. Just a slight role reversal. The funny part is my daughter is a real "girly girl" and my son is a total "man's man". You sound much more interesting, leaving the corporate world to raise your family.

I'm kind of surprised at all the different hobbies and interests there are among all of us. I like to hear about the aircraft, musical talents, and RC stuff. I have no talent for any of that, so I love to hear about the amazing things you guys are building.

Lorena

I like to do wood working and carpentry. I finished a room in the basement for my son and had a blast. (saved me a ton of money too)
We also have a collection of 4 corn snakes. I love the colors in them and they are easy to take care of.
I collect coins as well but my interest comes and goes.

I'm 50 something and had my lifestyle curtailed a few years back by having a new family late in life. My little guys are now 7&8 so heading out on the highway on my motorcycle has givin way to doin things with the boys. We garden, fish and spend time together. My wife is from Mexico so I spend a lot of time learning Spanish and eating oh so well. The mrs. supports my home brewing as her older boys ( I love them too) come around a bit more often to sample my wares. Life is good

I play tennis, like to to shoot and also try to experiment with some woodworking. Would be nice to have more time of work...

Riding my Harley and spending time with my boys (14 and 15). Getting ready to build an addition to the BrewShed afterwards I can call it the Brewery.. Can't wait to get that started (more room for brewing)!!!

Jeeping, camping, hunting, fishing. We can usually do all of those at once. I also like to do woodworking in my spare time. But more recently, trying to figure out how to get my 2 daughters (ages 12 and 15) to realize that it is more fun to go jeeping, camping, hunting and fishing then it is to go to the mall with their friends!

loop

lorenae said:
Because, quite frankly, we're not that interesting really. Just a slight role reversal. The funny part is my daughter is a real "girly girl" and my son is a total "man's man". You sound much more interesting, leaving the corporate world to raise your family.

I'm kind of surprised at all the different hobbies and interests there are among all of us. I like to hear about the aircraft, musical talents, and RC stuff. I have no talent for any of that, so I love to hear about the amazing things you guys are building.

Lorena

I wonder if Food Network would be interested in a show about cooking up beer? I don't miss the average workday life, but I sure do miss the paychecks.:cross:

• knitting (by hand or with a knitting machine - yay for mechanical contraptions!)
  • camping (in a tent, roughing it - no cushy campgrounds or RVs)
  • hiking (day hikes and extended backpacking trips)
  • biking
  • travel
  • gardening
  • fishing (caught my first king salmon at the age of 4, probably mostly dad's doing)

Well I'm new to homebrewing but other hobbies include motorcycle travels, art, musuems, camping, photography and remodeling this old house. The house is less of a hobby and more of a job, lol.

Well, I've been into traveling and photography since pre-teenage years.

I've been to many places around the globe. I lived in Germany for 9 years. Been to the orient twice.

Then there's brewing...home improvements are fun...playing guitar for a number of years...to name a few...:D

Oh yeah, music! How could I forget? :) I've been playing sax for nearly two decades, starting on alto and moving to baritone. Used to be in several bands, including a jazz band that I loved, but I moved and haven't looked into joining any other band. Playing jazz is a great pasttime. :D

I like to hike, ski, snowboard, mountain bike, road cycle and camp in an RV. After a long day on the trail, I want good food, a warm bed and some creature comforts. I tented for many, many years.

I forgot kayaking. I like that too. I'm also an amateur photographer.

I play a bit of guitar. I think I'm going to take up drums for the fun of it. Too many things to do, too little time !

video games, scambaiting, playing with Floyd, watching tv. All of this has suffered due to the recent move.

Obsessive horror movie fan.
Watch or listen to all the hockey I can.
Go to shows (slayer in feb 07) :rockin:
Sample different beers at brewpubs or beer bars.
Smoke stogies.
Hike and weight train.
Read and try to write creatively.
Lately the biggest obsession is looking for a new job.

I'm working on designing an 800 SF timber frame addition for our house.
If we can afford it next year, it'll be raised in fall.
The only thing I won't do myself is the drywall taping. I know better. :D

timberframejn3.jpg

gaelone said:
Obsessive horror movie fan.
Watch or listen to all the hockey I can.
Go to shows (slayer in feb 07) :rockin:

Damn! Slayer is skipping lllinois and Wisconsin on their tour. Indianapolis is a bit too far for a Sunday night show. Love the Slayer. And horror movies. I'm looking forward to the next Evil Deads.

Kevin K said:
I'm working on designing an 800 SF timber frame addition for our house.
If we can afford it next year, it'll be raised in fall.
The only thing I won't do myself is the drywall taping. I know better. :D

Timber frame houses are gorgoeus. I *wish* I had those kinds of skills.

Camping
Canoeing
Combining the above two!
Hiking/backpacking
Geocaching
Fishing
I'm also a hopeful fiction writer.
And now a homebrewer :)
I'd also like to take up archery deer hunting next year, maybe :)

R/C planes, boats, and cars. Scratch building the planes too! Kid's and fishing, prefer flats or bass. I live in Florida and all can be done year round!

o2

ill.literate said:
Geocaching
awwwwww yea. this is going to make me go dig up some gear......i've been inactive for a while!

myself? playing guitar.....writing really bad songs which i only play in public when drunk.....the art of smokology, just perfected an orange-glazed mesquite/hickory baby back recipe last week. mmmmm pork products.....

All things drums, drumming and playing drums. Recording my own music at home in my "studio." Keeping everything working at the house and being SuperDad to my three year old daughter. Biking, snow skiing, golf, boating and jetskiing.

Cheesefood said:
Damn! Slayer is skipping lllinois and Wisconsin on their tour. Indianapolis is a bit too far for a Sunday night show. Love the Slayer. And horror movies. I'm looking forward to the next Evil Deads.

First Maiden skips most of the US and now Slayer skips IL...man, we are spoiled on the East Coast...hey, make it a vacation and visit the NYC area and drink with the slaytanic wehrmacht. :rockin:

Speaking of the ED series, the musical is now on Broadway. I'm intrigued. The first two rows are the cheapie splatterzone seats, and guests are encouraged to dress to get wet. Nice!

Fiery Sword said:
awwwwww yea. this is going to make me go dig up some gear......i've been inactive for a while!

I don't usually cache much in the winter (but dang I should be, it's nearly 60 here in ILL today!), but I love going. My 6-year-old absolutely loves "treasure hunting" as does SWMBO and her son.

If I wasn't helping my sister move this weekend I'd try to snag a few caches this weekend.

Modify/Tune/Spirited Drive/Track my 350Z and go to sportscar related meets/shows
Play acoustic guitar/songwrite (usually after drinking homebrew it becomes an improv comedy gig)
Travel as much as possible (many day or overnight trips to odd little places)
Tour, eat, and drink at Microbreweries wherever I go
Play a little bit of poker (a lot less than I used to)
Fantasy Sports (namely football)
Etc.

Fiery Sword said:
...the art of smokology, just perfected an orange-glazed mesquite/hickory baby back recipe last week. mmmmm pork products.....

Oh, yeah - forgot to mention that! One of my other hobbies, too! I have a nice offset smoker my parents picked up for me and trucked all the way up from Texas! I do a brined, smoked turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas each year that gets gobbled up fast!:D

Work keeps me busy all the time, plus I travel away from home on account of work for weeks or months at a time (military deployments and temporary assingments), so I have some hobbies, but not as many as I'd like.

I guess the things that qualify as Hobbies are:
BBQ - have the pork center of NC right around the corner, so I smoke some pig part every weekend if I can
Reading
Traveling
Cooking (and Food TV)
Mead making
College Football (spectator)

Other Interests that I hope turn into hobbies someday:
Camping
Hunting, Fishing
Gardening - landscaping
Harley maintainence and tinkering (have one now, but it's inop)
Fiction novelist
Guitar/music
wodworking
Scuba diving (didn't see anyone else out there that dives - curious. I guess it's because it waters the beer down too much and puts out the stogies!)
Winemaking
MORE TRAVELING
Rugby (spectator)

Besides brewing:
Paintball
Martial Arts

However I want to get into outdoors things: particularly something cheap, like mountain climbing. Any one do mountain climbing? How can I start without spending **** loads of money?

Latest posts

Back