Green shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewinator

Reaction score
So in sunny SoCal, where it's been in the 70's all week, when should I expect green shoots from my second-year hops? I need to plan for my revised trellis.

This weather has me a little afraid my hops will come out of dormancy too early.

My little confused hops are having issues deciding what month it is as well. I have seen a couple sprouts stating to pop up through the compost I have on top of it.

When they start doesn't matter. I've seen them come up through snow around here. They won't grow much until late Spring.

If they are 2 nd year plants or more the 1st growth should always be cut back.It makes for a stronger bine with more yield Cheers Glen

We've had mild weather and rain all winter. Just checked my pots today for the heck of it. Mid January, and I have shoots.

my backyard is boston, my basement is san diego (at least w/in 2 feet of my rhyzome buckets.)
I tried sprouting them in early Dec. but it is slow going. I hope that they get jumpin when I put em outside.

Back