Submersible pump help and sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpm2

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a submerible pump to use for pushing cooling water
through a therminator (which I just ordered) or a jamil type whirpool chiller 50 foot. I would also consider using it for a carboy, keg type of washer.

I have never seen one of these and I'm wondering about the flow and
if it is controllable or controllable with an inline valve... if they really flow at
40-60 gallons per minute no way to i have enough water to support that.

I'm also not sure about what hp to get, common is 1/2, 1 hp etc.
harbour freight has a 1.2 hp on sale right now for $59 but will this work
and is it overkill?

Also is it easy to step down the large hose diameter?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...medium=email&utm_campaign=4809A&r=6812_295433

Thanks for any help.
Rich

As long as you okay with using PVC pipe to step it down, it is pretty easy. I used two fittings and a short piece of pipe. If you have not done any PVC plumbing before, it is like tinker toys. I just let the pump run ice water through my IC. I doubt the flow is as high as listed, but it does the job. I would get the clean water version of the pump. It should be cheaper.

For a long time, I have been using some fountain pump I bought on amazon for like $15. I hook it up with 3/8" tubing and a couple of hose clamps. The tubing fits right over the outflow nipple thing that came with the pump.

Back