Fastest fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
This is the first time I used a liquid yeast, and i wanted to get my money worth so I dumped a 2nd batch (a honey brown) on top of the yeast cake. And it took off like a rocket. I never seen my air lock go so crazy. 16 hours later and fermentation begin to slow down...and within 24 hours the kraeusen fell ( Im a little worried now) so I did a sg it was 1.014!!! The og was 1.054 no worries! And the airlock is still (very slowly) bubbling. Just wanted to share my excitement. I just never had a fermentation take off like that. :ban:

Not to worry, everything is normal. When you reuse the yeast cake like that, fermentation begins quite immediately and finishes fast. I've had several 24 hour fermentations when I reuse the yeast cake. Just let it sit and clean up and you will have a great beer.

You definitely need a blow off hose when reusing the yeast cake. You don't even need to aerate, just siphon on top and hold on for the ride...it's fast.

SWMBO is oblivious to my hobby. I do it all outside, and keep the potentially explosive mix in a large fermentation freezer.
She long ago stopped asking why I am cutting holes in walls / am in the attic / running wire through the house / am bleeding / have the toilet outside. On occasion, I've brought every utility in our house down.

Back