Cooling Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbox12

Reaction score
I have usually been putting my kettle in my sink and letting it sit in cold water to cool it down, can I add cold water directly to the wort?

you could.

1. you don't want to do it unless you are under volume. don't want to thin the beer out.
2. run into possible contamination issues by adding unsanitized water. i know some people boil water, then freeze it, and add that to the wort to cool and top off.

I usually boil about 2 - 2 1/2 gallons and make up the difference at the end for a 5 gallon batch. But I have been letting the wort cool all the way first, then adding water to my primary, along with the cooled wort. So I was thinking at flameout why couldn't I just top my kettle off with as much cold water as I can, along with letting it sit in the sink with ice water.

IF i need to top up (i do 5.5 gallon boils) I just dump the tap water straight into the fermenter. Haven't had a contamination issue yet. Every batch has tasted like beer....good beer even.

I just bought a 20' spool of copper tubing, rolled it up and hook that to my garden hose. Have used it since May with no problems. I can cool 5.5 gallons of wort down to pitching temp in about 15 minutes. Best $30 I ever spent!!

Back