A honey wheat ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunnster

Reaction score
I am still kinda new to home brewing, (only two batches so far, the first turned out great, second is in secondary) but I was trying to make my own recipe for a honey wheat ale, because I can not find anything on google that sounds like I would like. I have the basic process down, I know about Alpha acids, how different yeasts effect the brew, and I can make a basic recipe (I think). I am just wanting some feed back on what you guys think about what I am thinking about on my quest to make a great brew. I am still only doing extract brewing, with a partial steep of grains. Anyways, this what I am thinking about

7lbs of wheat extract
1lb of crystal 10L
1.5 oz of Czech Saaz hops AA ~2.7% (60 min)
.5 oz of Hallertau AA ~4.5% (15 min)
2lbs of orange blossom honey added at end of boil (15 min, with the aromatic hops)
Irish moss at end of boil (15 min)
Sweet orange peel at end of boil (5 min)
Yeast: WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast or WLP001 California Ale Yeast

But here is my question, I have never used honey in my brew, should 2lbs be good? Should I not add it in the boil? I want to give my brew a very distinct honey flavor, with a nice crisp hop after taste. Like I said I am still new to home brew, but I want to start to make my own recipe with my next batch, so like I said, any feed back would be great

If you want to give the beer some honey flavor, I recommend 1/2 lb. of honey malt. Real honey ferments out completely, so it doesn't add as much honey flavor to the beer as you would expect.

I would also say that it depends on the type of honey some have more flavor than others, if you can find wildflower honey it usually has good flavor.

if you add honey (or anything else with sugars) after the fermentation, it will just start another fermentation.

true, you can always add the honey after fermentation.... ide also go with the WLP001!

except adding honey post fermentation just restarts fermentation.

i too would go for honey malt to impart a real honey flavor, and perhaps prime the bottles with honey if you like.

in primary, without a LOT of honey (like half your fermentable sugar from honey) you just won't get a lot of honey flavor/aroma.

if you like honey, mead is something you should try :)

Where are you guys finding honey malt aka brumalt? None of my LHBS's have it and I've been dying to make a honey wheat!

Back