Looking for a Rickards White clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
Im looking for a Rickards White or Keith`s White clone`

or anything close would be good. I know that is got corriander and orange Peel in it.

Im guessing maybe in ounce of Coriander and 2 oz of Orange Zest.

Grain Bill is what Im confused on 50-50 2-row - Wheat Malt or higher on the wheat malt.

Also I have seen Flaked wheat in some recipes.

I do not want to add flour to my brew for haze to me thats like adding food coloring to your beer to get the right srm

I haven’t had either of them, but they both breweries do not have reputations for making “authentic” Belgian beers. As a result I would guess that the beers are similar to Blue Moon in that they use a clean American ale yeast instead of a more flavorful Belgian strain.

The “standard” recipe for a Belgian Wit is something like 65% pils, 30% unmalted wheat, 5% unmalted oats. So you could do that, or you could use malted wheat which is a bit easier to work with and domestic 2-row (which is almost certainly what they are using).

I would aim for ~15 IBUs from a single bittering addition, use something like hallertau if you want to be authentic, but pretty much anything will work for such a small dose.

You are right on the coriander (.5-1 oz) and orange peel (.75-1.5 oz). I would go with fresh orange zest, I find it much tastier than the stuff from the homebrew store. I also like a few grams of chamomile added at the end of the boil.

Hope that helps, good luck brewing.

Sorry to kind of go off topic on you, but just curious what you think about the Keiths white? I'm a bit on the fence about it, but so far i'd much rather the Rickards over the keiths.......and i'm a big Keiths fan...:mug:

Sorry to kind of go off topic on you, but just curious what you think about the Keiths white? I'm a bit on the fence about it, but so far i'd much rather the Rickards over the keiths.......and i'm a big Keiths fan...:mug:

Keiths seems to be more spicy I think they use more coriander. I really like both of them its hard fro me to say I would have to taste them side by side. Most people I talk to like the Rickards white because its mellower.

I've tried Keith's white. I didn't care for it much. I tasted like a witbier mixed 60/40 with regular Keith's. If you want a good witbier try one from Unibroue or Dieu de Ciel. They are very nice -- blow the socks off the Rickard's or Keith's attempts.

FWIW flaked wheat is more traditional in a Belgian witbier, although malted wheat is still a good substitute.

What i find funny is all you guys can get Keiths White....i'm in NB which is next to NS, its brewed in NS, and its NOT here yet...:mad: I had to get it when i was in NS last week.

O.k so this is what I'm going with:

4.5lbs of Wheat Malt
4.5 Lbs of Flaked Wheat
4.5lbs of 2-row
4.5lbs of Pilsner Malt
.5 pounds flaked Oats
1 Pack of Munich Danstar.
wyeast Belgian Whit Beer Yeast
Mash at 149 for 60 mins Single infusion

Hops additions will be what ever I have on hand close to 20 IBU's Preferably a noble hop

Adding 2 ounces of fresh Orange zest and 1 ounces of Crushed coriander at 5 mins.

Then adding 2 ounces of orange zest and 1 ounce of coriander at flame out.

This will produce 10 Gallons.

did the brew today got 1.050 OG used the yeast from above everything seemed to go as planned. The wort was very clear Im hoping it hazes up for me.

For hops I used 2 oz of williamette at 60 min.

Beer turned out wicked one of my best beers bmc lovers loved it had a nice haze without adding flour awsome recipe nice head.

Beer turned out wicked one of my best beers bmc lovers loved it had a nice haze without adding flour awsome recipe nice head.

i live in NS and i really am not a keiths fan at all, and keiths white i find is a failed attempt at making a white beer. to me it tastes like a mixture of a white beer with keiths IPA.

i do enjoy rickards white (not as much as blue moon), so id like to try this guy out.

does the recipe come out tasting more like rickards white or keiths white?

Hi.
In the end, would someone have a decent Rickards White clone recipe? I would love to have something similar!

Also, when you put coriander, do regular grocery store bought coriander seeds crushed is good enough?
The 2 times I put coriander in my beer, I found it tends to change taste to somethign I dislike after a short while.
My first attempt, I put 8g of crushed seeds in a 5 gallon triple - it was way too much! By the time I was 3/4 done with my keg, it started to taste like cat pis! You know the smell of male cat marking his territory? Well it was exactly like that!
The second time, I tried a white beer (tried to create a Blanche de Chambly clone) and put only 5g, but still, the taste seems to change in taste after only 2 weeks between my first pint and one from last night...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hey Math0, How did the beer turn out. I like the caramel falvour in the richards white. should i up the carapils?

Any suggestions?

I followed the exact recipe when I brewed this. It was close, but not enough. The grain bill was pretty close, though I would put a lot more Wheat malt (maybe flakes too I haven't tried). The carapils is off if you ask me. Crystal 20 or 40 would do a better job. Also, the hardest part in this is the ratio coriander-orange peel and the timing to add them both in the boil. I found it too low on the orange side and too high on coriander.

I would go for a decent quantity of orange, maybe 14g or so at flameout. I would also cut coriander in half and start from there.

Back