5.2 and gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Normally I add 5.2 to the mash.. this dry stout recipe calls for gypsum at some point.

Should I use 5.2 like normal in the mash, and add the gypsum to the boil?

Normally I add 5.2 to the mash.. this dry stout recipe calls for gypsum at some point.

Should I use 5.2 like normal in the mash, and add the gypsum to the boil?

Stouts and other dark ales would normally use calcium carbonate rather than calcium sulphate as a basic salt addition. Sulphate added to the boil might be appropriate for an American style stout with more hop bite than a traditional Irish stout. Frankly if you have the right balance of brewing ions from salt additions there really isn't any need for the use of the 5.2 product. A mash with the correct water profile will yield a proper pH level all by itself.

The gyp would be a mash addition as well, but, the need for it really depends upon your water chemistry & grain bill.

the recipe calls for 20gm..

20 grams?

Twenty grams seems like a hell of a lot of gypsum for a dry stout. That would be about 4 teaspoons. The only way to intelligently answer your original question is to see both the recipe and your water profile.

Back