pitch yeast in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpoonen

Reaction score
Gents,
I am a newbee at this and have only brewed one batch thus far. I am using the beer-kit. In my last batch, there was quite a bit of sediment in the bottle. The bottle is a brown glass 750ml. I would pour the beer in a glass and it would be bright and clear but the balance of the beer in the bottle would turn cloudy.
I want to filter the beer using stockings. This will stop any sediment getting into the bottle.
1) once filtered,would there be yeast in the beer for the secondary in the bottle?
2) if not, can I not add some yeast in the bottle for the secondary fermentation.

Your response will be appreciated
Regards
Brian

Your idea will not work.
There will be plenty of yeast to carbonate the beer even if you fine first.
Don't pour the last bit of beer from the bottle.

Filtering is not recommended. Trying to run the beer through a filter of any kind can cause oxidation, something you want to avoid at all costs after primary fermentation. Your best options are to rack to secondary or bottling vessel as carefully as possible, not sucking up trub. As clear as your beer may appear, there is still plenty of yeast in suspension enough to create a secondary fermentation, so adding extra yeast is not necessary. The only time you might want to re-pitch yeast at bottling is if it is a big (high ABV) the beer that has undergone a l-o-n-g secondary fermentation (months) and most of the yeast has been exhausted.

After bottling, if some trub inadvertently ends up in the bottom of the bottle, simply pour carefully, leaving the last 1/4 inch or so in the bottle. Cold-crashing, finings and gel are other ways to clear the beer prior to bottling. Again, careful racking is key.

The larger bottles can create problems. I only use these with highly flocculant yeast like WY1084. The yeast will stick to the bottom of the bottle if the conditioning time and chilling time was long enough.

You could pour all the beer into two large glasses, and refrigerate one until you're ready for it. Or always have someone to help with the second glass.

Do a smooth pour without the glugs. This will reduce the turbulence inside the bottle which loosens the yeast layer at the bottom.

Back