My new favorite beer style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaperload

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for about 4 months now trying my hand at various styles. I even joined a brew club that brews between 5-35 gallons every Sunday. One of the guys made a CDA of which I had never tried.

Only recently have I begun liking IPAs. I didn't even know what CDA stood for. His version was really nice. CDA stands for Cascadian Dark Ale. How cool is that. A beer style named after the area in which I live.

My next brew is going to be a version of CDA. I've even bought a few commercial examples to solidify my new favorite style.

Don't start this argument again, diaperload.
Search some of the threads that talk about CDA as the name of a style and you'll see that there are a lot of people who object to using CDA as the name instead of Black IPA or something less place-related.
Discussion begins below:

I totally realize that. I've read some of the old threads and have noticed that some use the name India Black Ale or some variant. I have no problem with this. Since I'm from this area I'll choose to call the style CDA.

I also happen to really love the style. I've only recently started liking IPAs.

Go have a Secession at HUB, briefly think about people who complain about the CDA name, forget that bs, walk next door and have a lap dance.

@mongrel; I just noticed you're from Black Butte. Could be another name for the "style". Black Butte IPA has a nice ring to it,imo. I say just call it whatever you want that references the style. That way,everyone's on the same page. Close enough for me...

ohh it is wayyyyyyy more than a beer style... There are some people that want to form a new country called Cascadia. I think these people are nuttier than a squirrel turd.

The last time we had this discussion,they were also arguing about getting the BJCP to recognize it as a style. But I'll take the lap dance!

Go have a Secession at HUB, briefly think about people who complain about the CDA name, forget that bs, walk next door and have a lap dance.

Last time I was at HUB, I tried to order a Secession and the dude looked at me like I was crazy. "A what?" Apparently they don't have it anymore.

Laurelwood has a new one that's pretty good though.

Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot what they call it - I just know I like to drink it!

Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot what they call it - I just know I like to drink it!

Here here! Just brewed one a few weeks ago. Can't wait to try it. It's my first recipe I've put together on my own, based on several I've researched. I can never remember the name Cascadia. Mine's called Fade to Black IPA:rockin:

There were a couple of noob dudes at a recent brew club function I heard talking about 'CDA'. I'd never heard the term before, so I did a little obligatory research. Near as I can figure, so-called 'CDA' and its associate general flavor profile is correctly described as good old American-Style India Black Ale according to the reputable style guides.

BA said:
American-Style India Black Ale

American-style India black ale has medium high to high hop bitterness, flavor and aroma with medium-high alcohol content, balanced with a medium body. The style is further characterized by a moderate degree of caramel malt character and medium to strong dark roasted malt flavor and aroma. High astringency and high degree of burnt roast malt character should be absent. Fruity, floral and herbal character from hops of all origins may contribute to aroma and flavor.

Original Gravity (oPlato) 1.056-1.075 (14-18.2 oPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (oPlato) 1.012-1.018 (3-4.5 oPlato) ● Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5-6% (6 -7.5%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 50-70 ● Color SRM (EBC) 25+ (50+ EBC)

Besides, CDA sounds like some top-heavy government agency that needs to be disbanded. So in the spirit of Ludwig Von Mises, I suggest we abandon the use of the 'CDA' acronym and never use it again.

Thank you. Carry on.

You can abandon the term. I'll keep using it. People around here seem to know what it means and it seems they use the term. Tonight I went to a local pub and the establishment had a CDA on tap and that's what I ordered.

I completely understand if you choose to use something different though.

I have no idea DannPM. I'm curious also.

A CDA doesn't exist. It is a Black IPA.

I had one from a bottle last night. I ordered one in a pub tonight. For not existing, I seem to find quite a few.

What you call it and what I call it seem to be different. I'll continue calling it a CDA cause that's what people around here call it. Where you live I guess they call it Black IPA. That's fine. I know what you mean. You know what I mean.

I remember the Portland ale festival this year when I came across this style for the first time. The program said not to call it black IPA, and to only refer to it as Cascadian Dark Ale ;)

You say potato, I say potato...

@mongrel; I just noticed you're from Black Butte. Could be another name for the "style". Black Butte IPA has a nice ring to it,imo. I say just call it whatever you want that references the style. That way,everyone's on the same page. Close enough for me...
There's already a porter named after it.

I just brewed a CDA this weekend and even though I'm from jersey I'm choosing to call it a CDA. I see it as kind of the porter vs stout argument, if the brewer calls it a Black IPA, its a black IPA. If he calls it a Cascadian Dark Ale, it's a Cascadian Dark Ale. :mug:

It's definately become one of my favorite styles though no matter what it is called.

Why do so many people hate this acronym CDA? Honestly, someone fill me in here!

I have no idea DannPM. I'm curious also.

People dislike the name "Cascadian Dark Ale" because it erroneously implies that the style originated in the Pacific Northwest. It is accepted that the style was first brewed in Kentucky, so "KDA" would make more sense.

I'm in the "who gives a damn" camp with it comes to these things, but I call it "India Black Ale" because that's what the BJCP style guidelines call it. I don't use quirky regional replacements for beer names like "wee-heavy" or "doppelbock" either. "India Black Ale" respects the origin of the beer style (an offshoot of IPA) and isn't conflicted like "Black IPA" which pits "black" against "pale" in the same style.

I'm in the "who gives a damn" camp with it comes to these things, but I call it "India Black Ale" because that's what the BJCP style guidelines call it.

Where did you see this? As far as I can tell, the BJCP guidelines don't call it anything. There's no category for CDA, IBA, Black IPA or whatever else you want to call it in the 2008 guidelines, the most recent official release.

The Brewers Association guidelines, on the other hand, are now calling it "American Style Black Ale"...which seems about as generic and non-descriptive as possible so as not to offend anyone on either side of the argument.

I'll keep calling it CDA, as that's what it's called at most of my local brewpubs.

A CDA doesn't exist. It is a Black IPA.

Since we're picking nits, I'll disagree. Technically, "Black India Pale Ale" is a contradiction in terms. If it's black, it cannot be pale. The correct term would simply be "IBA" or "India Black Ale".

Back