Source for stainless steel quick disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to build my brewery and looking for a inexpensive source for stainless steel quick disconnects.

I found parts

6718k89 for $30.33
item_industrial_6536k38.gif

and

6718k31 for $10.84
item_industrial_6534k46.gif

So $41.17 for a set, that seems a bit high doesn't it? It is about $10 cheaper at morebeer but they haven't had it in stock in a long time.

I am trying to build my brewery and looking for a inexpensive source for stainless steel quick disconnects.

I found parts

6718k89 for $30.33
item_industrial_6536k38.gif

and

6718k31 for $10.84
item_industrial_6534k46.gif

So $41.17 for a set, that seems a bit high doesn't it? It is about $10 cheaper at morebeer but they haven't had it in stock in a long time.

For about $28.00 you can set a set of Tri-Clover fittings from Swagman (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/tri-clovers-another-option-instead-quick-connects-145906/).

I'm sure you know this already, but fyi to the rest, the brass version of this is about $10.

So I guess there is no replacement for the real thing, but man brass is about $15 for the set getting 5 or more.

What are the thoughts on Brass vs stainless? What is the real cons of brass, I know it doesn't look as nice but function wise?

The only down side I see to the brass QD's is they are 3/8" flow. This would not work well on my system, but for many it does work well.

Tri-clovers are not as quick as the spring type QD's but they are still quick IMO. Two handed, but easy to use.

Any thoughts on polypropylene camlocks? Most are available in 3/4" camlock with 1/2" threads or barb. Can be had for a couple bucks each side.

Not trying to thread hi-jack, but I was looking for the same quick disconnects and the poly camlocks seemed like a good option.

Humann- I have 8 sets of these Parker 60 series quick connects that I planned on using for my brew rig but it's on hold (just had a baby and money is tight). I bought them from a medical surplus store, all stainless steel, male nipple and female coupler are poppeted. PM me if your interested

4151591407_765c54716b_o.jpg

4151591339_6ee2d315bd_o.jpg

The only down side I see to the brass QD's is they are 3/8" flow. This would not work well on my system, but for many it does work well.

Tri-clovers are not as quick as the spring type QD's but they are still quick IMO. Two handed, but easy to use.

McMaster Carr Items 6537K93 and 6537K65 are full bore 1/2". This is what I switched to from the brass coolant couplings.

Consider polysulfate or polypropylene depending on temp. What is the benefit of a hard to clean QD with threads? Lead concern with brass is additive and at least on the HLT their is no real threat. MLT and BK have concern as wort is acidic.

Humann- I have 8 sets of these Parker 60 series quick connects that I planned on using for my brew rig but it's on hold (just had a baby and money is tight). I bought them from a medical surplus store, all stainless steel, male nipple and female coupler are poppeted. PM me if your interested

4151591407_765c54716b_o.jpg

4151591339_6ee2d315bd_o.jpg

I'm going to be posting these in the classifieds along with my ranco controllers in the next couple days. I need some monies to get my rig operating. And the only way that'll happn is if I unload some of my stuff.

I just ordered a bunch of 1/2" straight-through quick disconnects from here:

http://www.ppe.com/10cat/0411.pdf

They sell both brass and stainless for cheaper than McMaster-Carr or MoreBeer.

I haven't received them yet, but the company was a pleasure to deal with. And the price for brass fittings was dirt cheap. (SS is pretty good, too.)

They don't come any better than Swagman. Great, honest guy, and I really like the tri-clover fittings. Also you can get any configuation you need. May be 2 handed, but they are fast. Leak free and I just have a thing for stainless.:D It is a mental thing for me. If cash is an issue brass is a great alternative and you can always change them out one at a time if you really want stainless.

Got my disconnects from PPE today. They look great.

QDs.jpg

I went with the couplers with female threads so that I could add straight or right-angle barb connectors as required. These also appear to be compatible with the straight-through couplings from McMaster-Carr (but less expensive).

Price of fittings (starting at bottom, going clockwise in photo):

BSTH-4: ST Series Couplers ($6 each)
125HBL-8-8: 1/2" male barbed inserts ($1 each)
129HBL-8-8: 1/2" elbow barbed inserts ($3.25 each)
ST902-12: replacement seals ($0.63 each)
BSTH-N4M: ST series 1/2" male nipples ($2.25 each)
BSTH-N4: ST series 1/2" female nipples ($2.45 each)

Stainless also available in catalog. Made in America (no duty to Canada). Ships UPS or USPS (a must for Canadians).

Total cost for everything in the photo: $67.55. Shipping to Calgary by USPS Priority Mail: $26.90.

Can't wait to try these out.

Fluids like wort and water?

Features tab reads:

"Standard materials are steel, 303 stainless steel and brass. The part number prefixes are: S = Steel, SS = Stainless Steel, bS = brass."

These ar s10 series, so min ss 303.

Back