SWMBBerry, Waltermelon White (Raspberry Wheat, Watermelon Wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason82

Reaction score
We brewed an 8 gallon batch of wheat beer using 50% white wheat. The batch was split into 2 4 gallon batches, half had watermelon juice added to primary after fermentation completed. Half had frozen raspberries added to secondary. The basic recipe is based on some info taken from 21st Ammendments website detailing their watermelon wheat beer. There is also some pilsner malt added (which is not mentioned on the 21st recipe). The watermelon keg has just kicked today and we just put the Raspberry into the keg.

To add the watermelon, I scooped out two watermelons and put the fruit into a blender. I poured the puree through two different strainers until there was almost no pulp. Added nearly 6 cups watermelon juice. The quantity is based on another watermelon recipe found on these forums. I chose to add the juice to primary after initial fermentation had subsided. The watermelon flavor was slightly more than the 21st amendment beer, but just the right amount for what I'd want. Very easy drinking beer that didn't last long. Only problem I had was could stand better carbonation, but this is more related to our personal kegerator system.

Raspberries were added in secondary. 2 lbs of frozen raspberries were used. For advice on raspberry additions, I read through the (lengthy) Requiem Raspberry thread on the forums. Many advocated sterilizing frozen raspberries, while others said they added them right to the fermenter with no problem. I elected to simply add them, and saw no signs of infection in secondary or tertiary vessels. It will be ready to drink in 4 to 7 days, so hopefully I can report back with a good tasting review.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: fruit wheat beer

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Wheat or Rye Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 8 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 10 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.12%
IBU (tinseth): 17.96
SRM (morey): 4.61

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (33.3%)
9 lb - American - White Wheat (50%)