Sanitary Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCityBaller

Reaction score
Hello all, first time starting a new thread here, so hopefully this is the right forum. I normally aerate my wort by sloshing back and forth from brew kettle to primary bucket. This has served me fine thus far, but I'm planning to primary in a Better Bottle in an upcoming batch, making sloshing difficult, if not impossible. Lo and behold, I just moved to a new house that the previous owners left a fish tank air compressor. I am under the assumption this was actually used in a tank. If I got some new hose and an air stone, would it be sanitary to use in my cooled wort? If not, is there any way to do so or should I chuck it and come up with a new plan? I am planning to make a starter w/ a stir plate; not sure if that's relevant. Any input would be helpful. Cheers!

I use an aquarium pump and regular air stone. Works well for me. I pay close attention to cleaning/sanitizing after and before use.

Some might say buy oxygen tanks and a ss aeration stone but IMO it's overboard. An aquarium pump is a major improvement over sloshing. At least that's what I've found.

Latest posts

Back