I am going to brag on myself.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
Well actually I am going to brag on my beer. My first batch, an extract brown ale, was OK at best. My second batch, a dry irish stout, was a good batch that I would gladly and proudly share with people and brew again.
BUT my third batch reminded me of the scene in the movie Beerfest when they first tried the beer they made from their grandfathers recipe. I wanted to create a hybrid of a couple of my favorites of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a little Arrogant Bastard. And I think I succeded by pushing the IBUs, SRM to the upper limit of a Pale Ale and using Chinook and Centenial hops. It was also my first partial mash and recipe that I designed by stealing and modifying other recipes.
Any thought of quiting after my first mediocre brew was completely erased by this one. I am biased but if this and a SNPA were sitting on a table I would choose this 9 out of 10 times and I love SNPA.
If you are a new brewer, which I still am, my advice is to not get discouraged if your first isn't great and to read as much as you can. I am glad I did. Finally thanks to all the experienced brewers giving great advice on here.

Good call to stick with it. My beers have improved as well once i found some quality ingredients and figured out (kinda) what I'm doing.

Back