First Partial Mash Mini Batch: Porter/Stout thingy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docz

Reaction score
Ok so i set out to make a low alcoholic porter from left over stuff I had. Then I found out that I wanted to try out using some grains in addition to my extract.

Here's the recipe I came up with, all left overs from my summer/fall brewing (except for the grains):

This is a 4 liter batch
300g Weyerman Dunkel Extract (unhoped)
100g Local light Extract (unhoped)
200g Pale Malt
180g Crystal Malt
80g Chocolate Malt
8g Tettnager Hops 45min
8g Tettnager Hops 15min
1/3 vial Irish Ale Yeast WLP004
1 teaspoon Irish Moss

OG: 1.036

The wort tasted awesome, so I hope this turns out good once it's done.
184688_10152497669860393_1257384314_n.jpg

I was a little worried that I put in too much yeast. Because the vial was a little under half full when I put it in the fridge today. It's bubbling away, so I gress it's ok. Anything I need to do differently from beerkit can brewing? Or is it pretty much the same from here on out?

It stopped bubbling today, it is sitting in a 20C room, maybe I should move it to the bathroom that is 26C with heated floors?

Looks like the yeast has fallen to the bottom :( Does that mean it's done allready? Or that my yeast died?

It lools like you have a layer of trub, a mixture of hops and yeast that have flocculated out. No, you yeast aren't dead unless you added something to kill them or heated the beer over 160 F. These are just the excess yeast, the rest are still working to break down the intermediate products to alcohol and rid your beer of off flavors. This is a silent process, you can't see it happening but the yeast know how to do it so it doesn't matter. Give it another 2 weeks and check the gravity twice over a 3 day period. If it stays the same you're done and can bottle or keg it.

Ok, bottled it today. There was half a bottle left that I chilled and drank to have a taste, boy did it taste good!! Even though it was kinda flat, it tasted amazing. I primed the bottles, how long should they stay at room temperature before moving them to my fridge? And how long should I wait before tasting? I plan to have some friends over the first week in april, do you guys think it will be ok for tasting by that time?

Regards

3 weeks, 3 weeks, yes but not at it peak flavor yet.:D

If you put the bottles where it is room temperature they will probably be carbonated sooner but try to wait it out because they will be better later. I always have to sample too soon, just curious how it is doing but then I wait much longer for the next test.

Just out of curiosity, when is peak flavor?

It will vary with the beer with the low alcohol, light colors coming to maturity first and then the darker the beer and the higher the alcohol the longer they take to reach their peak flavor. I've had a porter go from watery to robust at about 2 1/2 months. Others talk about a barleywine taking over a year but a low alcohol wheat being ready to drink in under 2 weeks (kegging so they didn't have to wait for natural carbonation).

Ok, this is a session porter,the alcohol is about 4.2%

Kind of like a Guinness then? Try one at week 3, just one. Another at week 4. Repeat until you get to the ahha when it really is ready. I'd guess that your 5th or 6th will be the ahha.:mug:

Back