Wyeast 2366 or Wyeast 2124 for Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudzAndSudz

Reaction score
Hi all, since my stored culture of Wyeast 2124 from my last oktoberfest got a little funky (more on that here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/spoiled-yeast-fridge-359623/) I decided to grab a new pack of yeast tonight on my way home from work. Of course I found Wyeast 2633 "Oktoberfest Blend" and was instantly intrigued.

Anyone have a preference on which yeast will make a better Oktoberfest? I'm guessing it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, but I'm hoping someone who's used both can point me in the right direction.

For the sake of discussion, the recipe will be as follows;

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Oktobourbon

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Oktoberfest/Märzen
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 80%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.05%
IBU (tinseth): 22.62
SRM (morey): 8.52

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Munich (41.6%)
2.5 lb - Vienna (26%)
2.5 lb - Pilsner (26%)
10 oz - CaraMunich (6.5%)

HOPS:
1.25 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh (AA 4.8) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 2 qt

Thanks!

I believe that 2124 is the same as the Weihenstephan 34/70 strain. If so, then I have experience with both in Marzen style. I just completed an Oktoberfest made with Fermentis Dry 34/70. It turned out nice, but definitely has a different character than all the previous 3 Oktoberfests I did with 2633. Here's how I'd compare the two: The 34/70 seems to make a very clean larger. This is probably the first lager I've made where I'd say I can't detect ANY esters. I'll note that I did follow a Narziss fermentation profile on this one. I only followed a Narziss profile on one of the three Oktoberfests done with 2633. All the ones done with 2633 had a stronger ester profile, but definitely not any stronger than commercial varieties I've had. Both approaches/recipes made good beers. So, in the end I think it's matter of personal taste. Even though the BJCP guidelines will say "clean with no esters" for style 3B, I happen to like the ones I made with 2633 better. However, if you're looking for a very clean profile, I think 34/70 (2124) is the way to go.

All the ones done with 2124 had a stronger ester profile. Even though the BJCP guidelines will say "clean with no esters" for style 3B, I happen to like the ones I made with 2633 better. However, if you're looking for a very clean profile, I think 34/70 (2124) is the way to go.

I think either I'm confused, or you maybe contradicted your own statement there. There were so many numbers in your post though that I very well may have gotten lost. :p

Are you saying the 2633 is cleaner than the 2124 or the other way around?

BudzAndSudz said:
I think either I'm confused, or you maybe contradicted your own statement there. There were so many numbers in your post though that I very well may have gotten lost. :p

Good catch. I was using so many numbers I confused myself! I meant to type 2633 where I typed 2124. My results are that 2124 is cleaner.

BudzAndSudz said:

There are other mistyped numbers so I'll edit it to make more sense.

Are the esters desirable? I feel like this weird obsession that brewers have with completely avoiding esters is kind of strange, because sometimes that can be one of the most delicious components to a beer. If the esters properly compliment the Oktoberfest style, then I'm fully in favor of them....

And don't feel bad on the numbers thing, I used the wrong number in the title of this post!

BudzAndSudz said:
Are the esters desirable? I feel like this weird obsession that brewers have with completely avoiding esters is kind of strange, because sometimes that can be one of the most delicious components to a beer. If the esters properly compliment the Oktoberfest style, then I'm fully in favor of them....

And don't feel bad on the numbers thing, I used the wrong number in the title of this post!

Really it's a matter of personal taste. BJCP is just a reference. Just because a beer was brewed "exactly" to the BJCP description doesn't mean you're going to like it. I think my 34/70 Marzen has less esters than many commercial varieties. I happen to like my 2633 examples better. I like very clean standard German Pilsners/Helles, but I think some esters are good in Oktoberfest. 2633 will definitely make a good Oktoberfest IMO.

Back