Flavor change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acajka1

Reaction score
My roommates and I made our first home brew. After the process was complete and we waited the recommended time. We cracked open a delicious summer ale. Few weeks later we took some beer to my parents and it tasted completely different...what could have caused this? Maybe it was shaken to much in the car? Also what can we do to prevent this in future brews.

Beer is a living, changing drink. The flavors change over time in all kinds of beer. The normal aging process normally make beer taste better over time. But it sounds like yours changed in the wrong direction. Can you describe the change?

I have found that in young beer there is sometimes a "nice" sweetness to it, that go's away with time.

When we first drank the beer it was full flavored. Crisp. Similar to a Sam Adams. Now it seems dull. Still has an orange Taste but very dull.

I had a beer do this to me recently. A porter with a nice, roasted flavor to it. 2 more weeks in the bottle really smoothed it out and I lost most of the flavor.

I would imagine that stirring and pouring a little yeast from the bottle would have helped the flavor.

I have heard the same thing with hoppy beers

Yea, I wasn't sure if there was some sort of filtering process that we could have done to prevent a flavor change

Did you leave them in the refrigerator between the two times you tasted them? I'm still new to all of this, but I figured that would slow the changing. (Not stop it of course but at least slow it...)

Also, I feel like I read somewhere the Wheat beers are best fresh?

crispy44 said:
Did you leave them in the refrigerator between the two times you tasted them? I'm still new to all of this, but I figured that would slow the changing. (Not stop it of course but at least slow it...)

Also, I feel like I read somewhere the Wheat beers are best fresh?

We kept some in the fridge and then left the rest in the basement. I do believe the ones from the basement were the ones that were transported and then refrigerated. However after bottling the beer we kept all of them in the basement until they were ready to be opened.

That's the difference. The basement ones wouldn't be as carbonated as the fridged ones were. The carbonation changes the flavor to it's final form in the fridge. At least 1 week in the fridge would do,but are better at 2 weeks with thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
Not to mention,chill haze needs a few days to settle out if you get any as it chills down. Carbonation levels change our perception of flavor & aroma.

unionrdr said:
That's the difference. The basement ones wouldn't be as carbonated as the fridged ones were. The carbonation changes the flavor to it's final form in the fridge. At least 1 week in the fridge would do,but are better at 2 weeks with thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
Not to mention,chill haze needs a few days to settle out if you get any as it chills down. Carbonation levels change our perception of flavor & aroma.

When I did open this last batch there was a chill haze...

Was just gonna post the same thing. Its why I love kegging, I've seen/tasted the full range as I test the carbonation. I've lost pressure a few times and increased the pressure a tad and its come back.

Chill haze comes from taking more than about 20 minutes to chill the wort down to pitch temp. But it doesn't show up till the bottled beers go into the fridge & start to chill down. It's usually just a clarity issue. but some beers might give a slight flavor difference from the protiens that form it.
Mostly though,it's just less carbonation giving the smoother,somewhat sweeter/flatter flavor. More fridge time usually fixes that.

Latest posts

Back