DIY Tap Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_0003_zpsd38d210d.jpg

My stainless steel tap handle.

I finally have a contribution to this thread. I got to visit Crooked Stave's new tap room when we were in Denver for GABF and I was inspired by their simplistic handles made from barrel staves.

I made these when I got home. I cut them down to about 12" and sanded them a bit. I wanted to retain some of the original character so I didn't sand them too much. They have stains from the hoops, where the whiskey leaked out, and some of the char on the backside. I'm going to seal them with some matte poly to protect them from stains. I also plan to add a chalkboard that will list what's on each tap.

View attachment 158384

How did you do the writting? Hot brand (can't think of what it is called:eek:)

mattd2 said:
How did you do the writting? Hot brand (can't think of what it is called:eek:)

Yep, I used a wood burning kit from the craft store. I printed out my design (in reverse) on regular paper on my laser printer. One of the tips that came in the kit is a transfer tip that's about the size of a nickel. So you tape your design onto your piece of wood (toner side against the wood) then run the transfer tip over it and it transfers the toner to the wood. From that point it's just a matter of tracing the design with the wood burner. The first one took me a while as I experimented with the different tips in the kit...probably about an hour. Once I figured out which tip to use, the rest only took about ten minutes each.

It's all galvanized. Tap handles were easy...

3/8" threaded pipe, 3/8" T, and (2) 3/8" plugs...then I got a 3/8" plain insert nut (like the pictures, but round, and without the prongs).
ran a bead of heavy duty crazy glue inside the pipe, set the nut inside and gave it a few min to set-up...then ran a few layers of crazy glue along where the pipe and flang meet...gave it a while to set up...I tried to break it apart...it's not coming apart lol

222-010_3.jpg

56060065.jpg

Stripper 18.,
really like the lobster claw - what did you use to mount the threaded insert? Did you fill in the bottom of the claw with epoxy or something?

Made a couple tiki inspired tap handles for a coconut brown ale. It's a favorite of some friends and family so anybody with a kegerator is getting a unique handmade handle for Christmas.

I installed a t-nut onto a 9" dowell rod and sculpted the tikis with air-dry clay. I used an X-acto knife to "carve" the surface to made it look more like an actual carving. I've got 10 more fingers than I would have if I had carved them whole. Two more to go still, and then I'm going to see if I can figure out a more generic handle to use for the rest of my brews.

handles.jpg

opqdan said:
Made a couple tiki inspired tap handles for a coconut brown ale. It's a favorite of some friends and family so anybody with a kegerator is getting a unique handmade handle for Christmas. I installed a t-nut onto a 9" dowell rod and sculpted the tikis with air-dry clay. I used an X-acto knife to "carve" the surface to made it look more like an actual carving. I've got 10 more fingers than I would have if I had carved them whole. Two more to go still, and then I'm going to see if I can figure out a more generic handle to use for the rest of my brews.

Love the tikis

With one of these:
View attachment 2011

and an drill you can make anything into a tap handle (well, not anything, meat wouldn't work, or a cat, but lots of things).

I'm just using oak, though.

$2 and change a pop at your local Hardware Store. Home Depot looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for the part number, Lowe's had 30+ in stock. I 'stocked up' on 6 of them at less than $3 a piece. Look for Threaded Insert for woodworking.

I can take an old action figure and drill a hole in his foot, BAM instant tap handle. I can walk in the woods and find a random stick, BAM instant tap handle. Basically if you can drill a hole in it, and it will accept cutting threads you can insert one of these and screw it onto your beer faucet.

I tried making one, and immediately ran back out to the hardware store. I went out and bought a 2 inch bolt and 2 nuts that fit the inside of the insert (the dimensions are escaping me right now, is it 3/8x16?) Thread the 2 nuts onto the 2 inch bolt and lock them together with about 1/2 inch of the bolt left. Lightly screw the insert onto the bolt, the two nuts act as depth stoppers. Use a socket to thread the insert into your new tap handle. It is much easier than fooling around with a flat tip screw driver trying to get the threads straight without stripping the insert!

I picked up this advice from a comment left on the product page of http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAPHANDLE-THREADED-INSERT-P1152.aspx. It really does work so much better!

opqdan said:
Made a couple tiki inspired tap handles for a coconut brown ale. It's a favorite of some friends and family so anybody with a kegerator is getting a unique handmade handle for Christmas. I installed a t-nut onto a 9" dowell rod and sculpted the tikis with air-dry clay. I used an X-acto knife to "carve" the surface to made it look more like an actual carving. I've got 10 more fingers than I would have if I had carved them whole. Two more to go still, and then I'm going to see if I can figure out a more generic handle to use for the rest of my brews.

I have a kegerator, need my address:)

Seriously, those look awesome. I wish I had the talent to make something like that.

Made a couple tiki inspired tap handles for a coconut brown ale. It's a favorite of some friends and family so anybody with a kegerator is getting a unique handmade handle for Christmas.

I installed a t-nut onto a 9" dowell rod and sculpted the tikis with air-dry clay. I used an X-acto knife to "carve" the surface to made it look more like an actual carving. I've got 10 more fingers than I would have if I had carved them whole. Two more to go still, and then I'm going to see if I can figure out a more generic handle to use for the rest of my brews.

Well done! Wish I had those skills.

Hey guys i have been having trouble finding the part that I want.
I did a lot of searching and read this whole thread but could not find it.

I'm looking for a coupling that is 3/8-16 for the tap handle that is not hex on the outside.
I found them in stainless, but I want standard mild steel, so I can weld it to things.
Round would look much better for my application.

If you know the part that I cant seem to find a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help, part should look like this, but have 3/8-16 threads, and be mild steel.

1-2-female-stainless-coupling_1.jpg

Hey guys i have been having trouble finding the part that I want.
I did a lot of searching and read this whole thread but could not find it.

I'm looking for a coupling that is 3/8-16 for the tap handle that is not hex on the outside.
I found them in stainless, but I want standard mild steel, so I can weld it to things.
Round would look much better for my application.

If you know the part that I cant seem to find a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help, part should look like this, but have 3/8-16 threads, and be mild steel.

If you get stuck and can only find the 304SS ones, you could try weld them to the carbon steel - from what I have heard you'd want to use a 309SS wire/electrode.

ZackN said:
Hey guys i have been having trouble finding the part that I want. I did a lot of searching and read this whole thread but could not find it. I'm looking for a coupling that is 3/8-16 for the tap handle that is not hex on the outside. I found them in stainless, but I want standard mild steel, so I can weld it to things. Round would look much better for my application. If you know the part that I cant seem to find a link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help, part should look like this, but have 3/8-16 threads, and be mild steel.

Try searching for "weld in bung". Here's an example I found, http://m.ebay.com/itm/191002556747

So, tell us your process, or is it earlier in the thread?

I like 'em!

Those are called Wrought Iron Baskets. You should be able to find them at a metal supply store near you or on the internet. Then there are welded parts on top and bottom.

I have bought some of those from a place called Industrial Metal supply in Phoenix, AZ. I've tried finding them on the web site without success. I went there in person and bought them. I've also seen them at some metal recycle facilities.

Yep, bought the parts, welded, then grind and grind and grind and polish, then grind more, polish more, and some clear coat to bring out the shine. I really like how they turned out.

Yep, bought the parts, welded, then grind and grind and grind and polish, then grind more, polish more, and some clear coat to bring out the shine. I really like how they turned out.

Hi Zack, I like how they look all polished and coated. But I want to go back to believing you hand crafted these pieces out of a solid chunk of metal yourself.

My man porch/beer cave has a nautical theme. I would really like to replace all my tap handles with belay pins. Unfortunately they are not cheap and will raise the cost of my keezer by over $200.

Hi Zack, I like how they look all polished and coated. But I want to go back to believing you hand crafted these pieces out of a solid chunk of metal yourself.

My man porch/beer cave has a nautical theme. I would really like to replace all my tap handles with belay pins. Unfortunately they are not cheap and will raise the cost of my keezer by over $200.

Google is your friend. Unless you want the polished bronze ones or have a heck of a lot of taps, it looks like you can get them for a bunch less than $200.

Google is your friend. Unless you want the polished bronze ones or have a heck of a lot of taps, it looks like you can get them for a bunch less than $200.

I fall under the heck of a lot of taps category. I have searched high and low for a reasonable solution for my "need" of belay pins. It would really be the piece de resistance to nautical brew porch. Those $10 belay pins look like $10 belay pins. I like the look of these belay pins.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/1569590...dworking_low&gclid=COvj0-Gu2LwCFZFrfgodaFgAKg

$29 x 9 taps =$261 or I can get a local guy to make me some custom teak ones at $55 each. I already have poured so much money into a $50 freezer at this point, whats another $500? At those prices I may just have to buy a lathe and learn to turn wood. It won't be any cheaper as I would probably ruin $1000s of dollars in exotic lumber in the process but at least I would get a lathe out of the deal.

IMG_8989.jpg

Belaying_Pins.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393640654.860956.jpg

Finally made something for my tap. Hope it's obvious what it is. Made from a piece of a dowel, a t-nut, sculpey clay, paint, and no skills haha. Never made anything like this and never used Sculpey or paints. Looks better in person but still happy with it. Now to figure out something for the other tap. Hmmmmm......

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

View attachment 182846

Finally made something for my tap. Hope it's obvious what it is. Made from a piece of a dowel, a t-nut, sculpey clay, paint, and no skills haha. Never made anything like this and never used Sculpey or paints. Looks better in person but still happy with it. Now to figure out something for the other tap. Hmmmmm......

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice work! That is rad!

Back