Help me pick a name....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
I need a name for the brewery....

I like pirates, and have considerd Teach's Taven and Brewery in homage to Black Beard.... but I think the priate theme is over use.

I live in Greenville, NC and when in college here the city was often nicknamed "the emerald city" So I am leaning toward Emerald City Brewing Company.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

While I agree that you might feel the Pirate theme is played out. Teach is a colorful character. I'd say emphasize the Privateering aspects and avoid the stylized Pirate ala Disney.

How can you resist a story like this? (from wikipedia)

Teach was killed, and the battle ended. Teach was reportedly shot five times and stabbed more than twenty times before he died and was decapitated. Legends about his death immediately sprang up, including the oft-repeated claim that Teach's headless body, after being thrown overboard, swam between 2 and 7 times around the Adventure before sinking. Teach's head was placed as a trophy on the bowsprit of the ship (it was also required by Maynard to claim his prize when he returned home). After the sheer terror of the battle with the pirates, and the wounds that the crew received, Maynard still only acquired his meager prize of £100 from Spotswood. Later, Teach's head hung from a pike in Bath.

Just in that story you have plenty of material to work with-
Bath Pike IIPA
Spotswood's Oak Aged £100 Stout
The Adventure Ale
Decapatated Corpse Swimming Around in the Water Porter

All great for when you open your pirate themed restaurant. "Arrhh, We be out o seats in the No Pillaging section, matey! Yar sitting at the bar no gibblets and mash for you!"

i actually like Teach's Tavern and Brewery. Most people have heard of Blackbeard but wouldn't know his real name. As long as you don't have any animatronics, i think you'll be alright ;)

Catfish said:
Just in that story you have plenty of material to work with-
Bath Pike IIPA
Spotswood's Oak Aged £100 Stout
The Adventure Ale
Decapatated Corpse Swimming Around in the Water Porter

All great for when you open your pirate themed restaurant. "Arrhh, We be out o seats in the No Pillaging section, matey! Yar sitting at the bar no gibblets and mash for you!"
Watery Grave...Chipped Cutlass...Bounty's Booty...Deadman's Ale (That'll Teach ya!)...Deadman's Chest (6-pack)...:drunk:

Pirate Ale said:
I live in Greenville, NC and when in college here the city was often nicknamed "the emerald city" So I am leaning toward Emerald City Brewing Company.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I like that name. Maybe you could have a horse of a different color on the label.

It seems that more folks like the priate theme. I am not overly thrilled with the actual name but do like the theme and since I am very close to the waters where Blackbeard met his fate, I think I may have a solution. Ocracoke Island is where Blackbeard died and is part of the Barrier Islands of NC, so I think I wil call it Barrier Island Brewing Company. I can then keep the natical and piratical theme. What say you me hearties?
:tank:

I personally like Emerald City more than Barrier Island, but both sound great. So you're opening a bar? I'll have to come check it out, I live in Raleigh, but I have a place at the beach.

Pirate Ale said:
It seems that more folks like the priate theme. I am not overly thrilled with the actual name but do like the theme and since I am very close to the waters where Blackbeard met his fate, I think I may have a solution. Ocracoke Island is where Blackbeard died and is part of the Barrier Islands of NC, so I think I wil call it Barrier Island Brewing Company. I can then keep the natical and piratical theme. What say you me hearties?
:tank:
sounds cool to me! :rockin:

Pirates are cooler than emeralds. Especially Mr. Edward Teach.

Other possibilities to incorporate into beer names: Queen Anne's Revenge, Ocracoke, Diamond Shoals...

I think if you go with "Emerald City" as your name, you might get a lot of Judy Garland fans (if you know what I mean) as your clientele. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I feel that it should be mentioned.

Back