A big foamy oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weisheiz

Reaction score
So I started a new batch of IPA and I am pretty certain that the size of the batch is too big for the container. Sadly I have already started the fermentation and I have foam erupting out of my one way air valve. Any ideas?

Sounds like you need a blow-off tube. If it is a carboy, a drilled stopper with a tube running into another container of water/sanitizer mix. If it's a bucket, you can fit the tube to the existing airlock and run it to a separate container. Search here for blow-off tube.

Thank you! That idea worked great! Now I'm having some selling of the bucket and some violent bubbling in my separate container, it is working! Its beginning to look like i have a methamphetamine lab in my basement. Thanks again! Also, do you think this will significantly effect the process?

Will not significantly effect your process. If anything it will allow your fenting beer to 'breathe' and not make a mess to clean up. I use blow off tubes all the time for at least the first week.

I learned my lesson twice. Even brewing a 5 gal batch in a 7 gal carboy I get some heavy blow-off. Plus it looks cooler than the little bubbler and the smell is outstanding! I have a wheat fermenting right now and it is a good thing I used the blow-off, things are crazy in there!

Yeah the blow off seems to be working. I think I'll uae it again. I am getting ready to start a wheat soon, glad to know it would be wise to use the blow off.

It's 5:00am, my girlfriend and I are watching a movie, we both work night shifts. All of a sudden, I here a loud but, muffled "pop", and glass breaking. So, as a patrol officer who has heard a gunshot or two within close proximity to my ass, I think that someone just shot out one of my windows. Her and I both come leaping off the couch, I sprint for the kitchen where I placed my dutygun, and go bounding to the back of the house in the direction of the pop, only to realize that a over-primed beer bottled had exploded!

For the 3rd time in my life I can confirm that you can hear an a$$hole slam shut from a block away when a gunshot rings out unexpectedly and uncomfortably close.

Not sure if my girlfriend was more upset at the possibility of someone coming after me in my own home or that we had beer all over the back room.

Note to self, drink less beer and pay more attention while conditioning and bottling beer!

No problem, always good for a laugh! I guess I put too much priming sugar in that one!

Suggestion - boil a cup of hot water. Add priming sugar. Cool. Add to bottling bucket. Siphon wort on top of priming sugar, allowing siphon to swirl nicely.

no more inconsistencies....

Back