full boil - an electric version of a turkey frier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
couldn't find any definite info on this one...
I'd love to get a bigger pot and switch to full boils but don't have the ability to brew outside.
Does anyone know of an electric burner NOT a stovetop like the stand-free propane turkey fryers that people use? That could handle a larger pot/full boil?

This is eschewing the 'insulated pot' and 'brew stick' options btw.

Thanks!

Ed

You could get a 1500 watt hot plate but the time it takes to get a good boil going will be around 1 1/4 hours. Thats how long it takes when I use my 7 gallon still as I dont do that outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of 1500 watts hot plates out there, but doing a full boil will be slow. You can't go any bigger on one standard outlet. If you have 220 volts available, there are higher wattage restaurant plates, but plan on spending $400+.

There are electric turkey fryers. Most of them have exposed heating elements, so scorching and caramelizing will be a problem.

Actually there are a few models of electronic turkey fryers out there.....I had my eye on one at Gander Mountain a few years back...I never went too further in my investigation as to if it were really feasable or not.

This one is only 98 bucks at walmart.

0009442826070_215X215.jpg

Walmart.com: Masterbuilt Digital Electric Turkey Fryer: Grills & Outdoor Cooking

The Stainless Steel Turk N' Surf Electric Turkey Fryer Plus by Masterbuilt includes a 28 quart turkey pot with stainlees steel outside shell with an adjustable thermostat with safety shutoff and timer. The Stainless Steel Turk N' Surf Electric Turkey Fryer also includes a drain valve and perforated non-stuck slikcoat (non-stick) basket with draining clip and biling handle. It has an illuminated on/off switch, "ready" cook light, breakaway power cord, 1650 watt stainless steel heating element, glass lid with cool grip handle and lifting hook. This electric turkey fryer is CSA approved.

If I were going that route I would rig a plate chiller to come out of the spigot, iirc it is pretty cramped inside, so an immersion chiller would probably not be doable.

Another option is that in England there are a few brewers who have done some work with a certain brand of 10 gallon electric coffee urns....they evidently do 3 step systems with Hot water tank, mash tun and brew kettle. I can't think of the name of the brand they use...but I think they have to mod the "brew kettle" with another heating element or something to be able to boil.

I live in a loft and can't brew regurlarly outside either, but I still went with the regular turkey fryer. I brew stove top batches extract, or 2.5 gallon all grain batches on my electric stove, but I find many opportunities to still do outside brewings. Just find some people local to you on here, and see if anyone wants to host a group brew, or just brewing with another brewer at their place. I've managed in the last year to get in one full size brew a month at someone's place or a with a group event like Teach your neighbor or aha big brew at a homebrew shop, and finding out when my friends on here are breweing and hauling my stuff out to their place....did it year round, even in deep winter...

a brew party once a month is nothing to sneeze at.

Back