My first AG brew day, and my new MLT...with pics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanIanBoBian

Reaction score
Well it wasn't today, actually 2 weeks ago, but I just got around to posting the pictures. First, here's my 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT.

Didn't feel like using a ball valve for whatever reason, so I used one of these valves instead.

img1704.jpg

Here's an exploded view of all the parts I used for the bulkhead. Over the one hour mash, it didn't drip a drop. I also used an o-ring (not in the picture) on the nipple to try to keep the wort out of the space between the two cooler walls.

img1706.jpg

The manifold I made. Thought I'd do something a little different with the shape, to try to get it as close to round as possible. Turns out I'm not very good at soldering copper pipe. I made it so that it comes apart in two places for cleaning.

img1716m.jpg

And here's my first AG brew day, and first brew with my free turkey fryer. I made BierMuncher's centennial blonde. This will also be my first batch kegged.

img1717.jpg

Everything went very smooth, especially for my first all grain. I was right on with all my temps. The only problem was that I used too much sparge water, and had a couple gallons left in the MLT after I got my 6 gallons of wort. I used that and my leftover hops and did a mini batch on the stove. How would this have affected my efficiency? I don't have my numbers here in front of me, so I can't say what my OG was. Really glad I went all grain though, I enjoyed it.

My solder job didn't come out well either. The good thing about solder is you can heat it back up, wipe it off and then apply again. LESS IS MORE when soldering.

Back