Carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamike

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having some issues with carbonation. I had no problem before when primary 10 days then bottle. Now, I keg beer so carbonation was not a problem since I'm using forced CO2 carbonation. But, recently, I did couple batches of beer (bottled) for friend and alot complained about low carb or no carbonation at all. Since I keg, I let 7-10 days to primary and 1 week or 2 in secondary. I use Cooper sugar drops for my bottle (I'm using the same method since 2 years). So my question is, is it possible that all yeast or most of them are dead so no or not enough CO2 is produced? I have 2 weeks bottles with not pressure at all. Not even a small pshhht. Someone experienced the same thing? I have a batch to bottle for my father tomorrow, the beer spent 1 week primary, 3 weeks secondary and I'm kind of worried about bottling it since last batches were not ok.
Thanks for your help!

I doubt the yeast is dead. I have had batches that I've neglected for 6 weeks in the primary and they've still carbed up just fine.

What temperature are you letting the bottles sit at for the first few weeks after bottling? The general rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70f. Try warming the bottles up a bit for the first three weeks, or perhaps adding another sugar drop per bottle?

I store my bottle at around 70 F. I'll try 2 drops next time. It still pretty weird. It's the first time I'm having issues with carbonation.

If it's under three weeks minimum and below 70 degrees (for NORMAL grav beers), when you are testing them, then there is nothing wrong but impatience...Storage temp, and gravity are the two most important important factors in carbing and conditioning...

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

ALL beers will reach their level of carbonation eventually. In fact, it's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't add sugar to some ordinary bitters, and milds and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally.)

What temp are you storing them at, if it is anything below 70 degrees it will take longer.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. There's even a video.

{b]you don't need to add more drops, nor is there anything wrong with your yeast...You just need to give it more time.....

In the case of stouts, I agree with Revvy. All my stouts seem to take a long time to carbonate, but they get there in the end.

-a.

Ok... I'll wait. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I bought my fisrt star san bottle. It's fantastic for carboy, but can I use it with bottles? (Silly question I know, but want to make sure ;) )

yes, yes you can. As long as they are clean (scrubbed and rinsed initially, then rinsed and stored after pouring a brew).

I use one of those bottle trees that pumps a spray of sanitizer into the bottle. Very nifty... Actually it is borrowed... I need to buy one. But I have been keggin most recently. Probably back to bottles when I brew more in the winter.

Yeah, star san! some folks even do their caps with it....

i have an IPA bottled, and its been sitting for about a week now and barely any carbonation has happened, should i just keep waiting? 3 week minimum?

haha we bottled a stout not too long ago and i had to show my friend this thread for him to believe me they were not done yet..

Latest posts

Back