control for 4500 watt element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I have a 4500 watt hot water tank element that I wanted to use for an electric boil kettle. I was wondering if I could use a oven control to control the temp so I can turn it down to reduce boil overs.

the oven had a 30 amp fuse. I wont be drawing more then 20 amps on the element so I am hoping it will work.

If anyone has electrical knowledge could let me know if it would work it would be appreciated.

In theory, it will work.

But not very well.

First, it will not "turn it down". It is either on or off- there is no in between.

Second, it will only go down to about 150-175 degrees, although I am not sure what being submerged will effect the probe.

Third, the dial will be so sensitive that it is almost impossible to get it dialed in right. A tiny nudge on the dial can make a difference of 15 or 20 degrees.

Fourth (and most importantly) the "swing" (for lack of the proper term) is far too great. If you have the temp set high enough for it to boil, then it will likely never get hot enough to shut off again.

Rather than an oven control, I think you would be better served using a stovetop burner controller. It would be completely manual in operation, but you would have far better control.

Yeah the Stove top element controls are 20 amps. That would work perfectly for my heater.

I also have the option of using my PID but its on oreder and wont be shipped till june.16 or something so I may use this method.

I dont have my system working yet but I still use the cooler for now but having my kettle would be great because right now im using a 6.5 gallon turkey fryer so my 15.5 gallon keg boil kettle would be way better.

Back