Hop recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtvinny

Reaction score
I live in North Carolina and am looking at ordering 2 of each of the following:
Centennial, Chinook, and Fuggle. I want to know if I should go with Willamette instead of the Fuggle. I want a combo that will allow me to brew quite a few different styles of beer. Here is a list of what is available at my source-

Brewers Gold
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Fuggle
Golding
Magnum
Mount Hood
Northern Brewer
Newport
Nugget
Sterling
Sunbeam
Willamette

They seem to be the best prices I have found www.americanbrewmaster.com

Nugget will be in short supply for possibly years, according to a source I can't quote, so I'm growing those. Cascade is always good to have on hand. I'm also growing Centennial. Well... I'm going to try!

The C ones are supposed to be the ones we will miss, I would definitely focus there. But in the end if you are trying to be self sufficient, it depends on what type of recipes you like.

I would do some real thinking ahead as to what you would like to brew, and then get recipes together and see which ones come up the most.

jtvinny said:
... I want to know if I should go with Willamette instead of the Fuggle ...

I would go with Fuggle over Willamette. Nothing against Willamette, I like it a lot actually, but Fuggle is more traditional and sometimes hard to find.

Personally, if I grow any hops this year, I'll plant Cascade and Goldings.

I have Cascade, Chinook, and Willamette. I will be willing to trade rhizomes with people next year once they are established.

Fuggle definitely. Willamette isn't a bad alternative, but it isn't quite as good in the English-style ales.

:off:

I have 23 Ounces of Willamette on hand. Seems like kind of a "utility" hop. Decent substitution for lots of hops, but rarely do you find a Willamette exclusive recipe out there.

Anyone care to make a suggestion?

...aside from the "mail me your willamette" suggestions... ;)

Joker said:
I have Cascade, Chinook, and Willamette. I will be willing to trade rhizomes with people next year once they are established.

I bought 10 rhizomes before realizing that once they are established I'll have somewhere around 1lb of hops from each at harvest. So yeah I'll be totally down for a trade. They are big rhizomes, some at least 6 in long and about 2 inches wide, but they are 1st year plants so it might be a while...... I bought 2 of each Magnum, Centennial, Cascade, Nugget, and Williamette.

From what I understand, Fuggles will not produce as well as Willamette, and Fuggles tend to suffer from hotter climates, which is exactly what NC has. I personally went with both Fuggles and Willamette. I also got a jumbo Fuggle rhizome (from freshops) to help in the growing/production process. I figured I'd cover both bases either way.

Back