Wood-Aged Beer Oaked SMaSH (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Recipe: Oaked Single Malt Ale
Brewer: Orfy
Style: Wood Aged Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
8.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) 9.5 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min) 6.7 IBU
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) 3.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
50.00 gm Oak Chips Soaked in Single Malt Whiskey

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion at 68°C, Batch Sparge.

Orfy, I liked the pictures out of your window and it looks yummy. :) I have always wanted to see how the other side of the world looks. I have never used oak chips. Do you boil them before adding the wiskey? Did the yeast cling to the chips a lot?

The chips were not boiled.
They were added after a month in primary so there wasn't much yeast to cling.

dsc00001ny2.jpg

Does that really say 19.4 IBUs and an OG for 1.072? Is this at all balanced Orfy or is this malty as a MoFo?

I've got something very, very similar to this planned as my next brew and wanted to get things hammered out...

Orfy I'm interested in trying this one.

Quick question though, you wrote in the recipe that the chips are soaked in whisky. Then on a reply said "the chips were not soaked". Did you mean to write "not boiled"...in response to the question about boiling?

Does that really say 19.4 IBUs and an OG for 1.072? Is this at all balanced Orfy or is this malty as a MoFo?

I've got something very, very similar to this planned as my next brew and wanted to get things hammered out...

It was suprisingly balanced. It was one beer I didn't want to be bitter.

Another good thread/idea from the Orfster!

I've just oaked my first bier this past month. 1 gallon each with bourbon soaked chips and 1 gal with scotch soaked oak chips. Care to give us an idea of what the scotch lends to the bier. I'm betting a nice peaty Islay (home of my forefathers) scotch would do a good job in a variety of biers. For the record I used Chavis Regal, a fairly good and smooth but non discript Scotch. At bottling I was blown away with the vanilla and toast aromas coming from the bourbon soaked chips wood aged bier.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps I didn't see a mash temp reading on this one, I'd say 151-152F?

well I'm gonna do this one next, I'm gonna up the IBU's just a touch though to around 24. I also thought about trying those burton on trent water salts which will be a first for me also

The chips were not boiled.
They were added after a month in primary so there wasn't much yeast to cling.

dsc00001ny2.jpg

How long did the Oak stay in the beer Orfy? This is approx. 1.5 oz so I would guesstimate about a week to 10 days?

I love the idea of this beer, thanks for posting.

Just brewed this today. I used Styrian Golding instead @ 5.1%. I couldn't get any Fuggles.

I've got Jack Daniel chips, soaking in Jack Daniels instead of scotch. Decided since I'm a kiwi I'd call it JD SMaSH after a band here in NZ called DD Smash :rockin:

Has anyone made this recipe?

The post #1 listed 30 days of secondary so I assume that's how long the beer was in contact with the oak.

When soaking the chips in scotch, does the scotch go into the beer too?

Any recommendation for the type of oak & toast?

Latest posts

Back