Bulk grain order Central Pa Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
I liked the idea that the Texas brewers are doing for ordering bulk grain. Anyone in Central Pa and Maryland area interested in a bulk grain and hop buy?

From Which distributor?

Delivered to where?

Do you have a garage to house the pallet(s) if they are delivered on a weekday until a weekend when we can pick them up?

old_townie said:
From Which distributor?

Delivered to where?

Do you have a garage to house the pallet(s) if they are delivered on a weekday until a weekend when we can pick them up?
I need to work out all the details. Right now I'm checking out how much interest there is.

warrior,

count me as interested... i'm south of Baltimore, but travel to Harrisburg on a regular basis.

billy m

Count me in. I'd be interested in both grains and hops. I'm outside of DC, but could make a trip up if we can get a good deal.

Thanks,

Stu

I'm not sure what things like this would cost, but I'd be down for a sack or two of 2-row. And some hops would be great. I'd buy a couple pounds of hops if you can get good varieties.

I live in Baltimore, family lives in Hershey. I'm down for a few sacks as well if we can get it going.

Might be in for more if 98EXL chimes in and I'll pick his share up on my way up.

Sounds like we definately have enough interest. I contacted the company and they do not have any hops right now,what a surprise!. I was told that they should have some imported hops in a month. I not in a rush to do this order and can wait till then to see what hops they'll have and at what price.

The following grains are available for the pallet deal.

Hugh bairds -UK Marris Otter and Pale ale
Best Maltz -Ger
Canada Malting
Thomas Fawett -UK

Also Breiss DME in 50 lb bags

For specialty grains we could divide up bags and maybe get 10 lbs each?

PM me and I'll let you know the pricing and discuss in more detail.

If it would be either late spring or early summer, I am in for at least a sack, most likely 2-3 and splitting some specialty.

Warrior said:
The following grains are available for the pallet deal.

Hugh bairds -UK Marris Otter and Pale ale
Best Maltz -Ger
Canada Malting
Thomas Fawett -UK

Also Breiss DME in 50 lb bags

For specialty grains we could divide up bags and maybe get 10 lbs each?

PM me and I'll let you know the pricing and discuss in more detail.
I'd like to start putting that grain order together. Let me know how much you are going to want. PM me as I would like to place this order by the end of March.

Warrior

Hey Warrior, I am interested in a sack of marris otter and a pound of hops. I currently live close to doylestown PA and am also visiting State College every other month. Please keep me posted.

Aspera said:
Hey Warrior, I am interested in a sack of marris otter and a pound of hops. I currently live close to doylestown PA and am also visiting State College every other month. Please keep me posted.
Right now we are at 22 bags of grain. Anyone else interested? We can order up to 40 bags on one pallet which keeps the cost per lb down.

Two questions:

Where's the pickup?

What's the cost per pound "so far?"

Driving to PA in my car might not be worth the savings of buying from my LHBS, so I'm wondering those two things before placing my order. :)

If it helps anybody from further South, I can pick up yours and have it at my place in Middletown, DE. It would be less of a drive for you maryland folk. ;)

I get paid tomorrow Warrior, so check will be in the mail soon.

Aspera said:

If you're down: all the phila metro folks to have someone pickup sacks and bring them back, we all chip in for gas and meet 'round here to divvy it up.

brewt00l said:
If you're down: all the phila metro folks to have someone pickup sacks and bring them back, we all chip in for gas and meet 'round here to divvy it up.

Let me know the details on this one.

Ryan_PA said:
Let me know the details on this one.

So far your the only one to respond

It would be nice if we could split the cost of getting the sacks back between a few folks to keep the overall cost low rather than everyone going out individually. One person runs out, grabs the sacks and we can all meet somewhere central.

Anyone else in the area down?

This sounds like something we could organize here for several locations. I would be interested in something like this for the SF bay area...

Brewing Clamper said:
This sounds like something we could organize here for several locations. I would be interested in something like this for the SF bay area...
I would suggest starting a seperate thread for a bulk grain buy for your area. I got the idea from a group of texas brewers who were doing the same thing.

Last call for the bulk grain buy. I want to place the order next week as my grain supply is getting low. Been on a roll since Jan 1 and have brewed 100 gal since, 16-5 gal and 2-10 gal batches.

Warrior

Ryan_PA said:
Yeah, thanks again Mike. You did us all a solid by putting this together.
Glad we could all chip in and make it happen. Wish you and Brewt00l could've made it today at my house. Meet Wedge and Freyguy today and we shared some brews. Jezter6 was also here and got his grain. Freyguy hung out for a while with his wife and kids we shared a few of our lastest brews. Keep in mind the brewday on May 31 at Evets. I meet him at last months Lancaster meeting and he is a good guy. Evets said he does not mind anyone pitching a tent and spending the night. Saves driving home if you have a few too many homebrews, not that any of us would do that! I still have to decide what to brew for that day.

Sounds like it's going to be a big old group brewfest!

I just used up the last of my LHBS grain and am looking forward to the first batch with the MO and Pils.

mike,

thanks a lot for taking care of this. also, thanks for the helles and cream ale's... my wife and I enjoyed them immensely. she continued to talk about your helles on the way home... she really enjoyed it. it was great to meet you, hopefully we will meet again soon.

billy

billym99 said:
mike,

thanks a lot for taking care of this. also, thanks for the helles and cream ale's... my wife and I enjoyed them immensely. she continued to talk about your helles on the way home... she really enjoyed it. it was great to meet you, hopefully we will meet again soon.

billy
Billy,

Good meeting you and your wife also. I'll get you those recipes and send them to you. BTW the brown ale you made was good especially considering it was your 1st brew and all grain right from the start.

Mike,

Thanks again for setting this up. My first AG is happening this friday evening! SOrry I forgot to bring some of my brews, I was in a hurry in the morning and forgot to grab some :(.

Chris

wedge421 said:
Mike,

Thanks again for setting this up. My first AG is happening this friday evening! SOrry I forgot to bring some of my brews, I was in a hurry in the morning and forgot to grab some :(.

Chris
No big deal, just bring some along to REHAB.

I liked the idea that the Texas brewers are doing for ordering bulk grain. Anyone in Central Pa and Maryland area interested in a bulk grain and hop buy?
Hop crop is coming in, I'm checking on pricing for a bulk hop buy. The hops come in 11 lb bags, anyone interested? I should have some prices next week.

Latest posts

Back