Chest Freezer owners: How big is yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max4677

Reaction score
Well, I got a free pre-drilled fridge from a fellow homebrewer (got a job at Dogfish Head the lucky... :) ) and it was working fine for him for as long as he had it. However, I am having problems with it. The freezer compartment leaks causing condensation everywhere and while trying to loosen the bolts for the hinge to adjust the door one of them sheared off and now the door really doesn't seal right. I have a few big magnets currently holding the freezer door somewhat shut... I don't feel like dealing with it so I am thinking of just sucking it up and getting a chest freezer or a new fridge for the kitchen and moving that one elsewhere and fixing its seals.

Anyway, I bought and installed all of the necessary hardware into this fridge for a two keg system. I was wondering, how big are your chest freezers and how many kegs can you comfortably fit in it? I plan to keep the 5# CO2 tank inside the unit as well. If I can keep it reasonably small then I will be able to keep in inside the house and not out on the porch like the current fridge is.

Today was supposed to be the first time I ever kegged a batch... :(

My 10 cu. Ft. holds 6 cornies or 3 Cornies & 1 fermenter.

Freezer.jpg

My 20 cu. ft. holds 12 cornies plus 2 three gallon cornies.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

Don't know the cubic footage off hand, but she's about 4 ft long by 2 ft wide, and she holds six cornies and a #5 CO2 tank with room to spare. Plus I only paid $85 for it.:)

Haven't measured mine, but it looks like Ed's 10 cube. I can put five cornies and my five pound CO2 tank in there.

Mine is the 7 cu ft freezer from Home Depot. Hold 4 cornies out of the box. Add the collar and you can fit 6 or 4 and a carboy.
8361-keezer.jpg

Cool, keep the specs coming. I'll show my wife this, and maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent one at the Sears scratch and dent store this weekend. If not, I guess I'll just have to permanently seal the freezer shut with some liquid nails or something.

Ed: What are those things in the upper right area of the smaller freezer?

Either way this is good to know because if/when we move this fridge is likely to stay behind. Plus it helps out others looking to move to kegging. Seeing how things fit is a lot easier than trying to visualize it!

max4677 said:
Cool, keep the specs coming. I'll show my wife this, and maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent one at the Sears scratch and dent store this weekend. If not, I guess I'll just have to permanently seal the freezer shut with some liquid nails or something.

Either way this is good to know because if/when we move this fridge is likely to stay behind. Plus it helps out others looking to move to kegging. Seeing how things fit is a lot easier than trying to visualize it!

My little one is a S&D from Fry's for $199 and the big one is a S&D from Conn's for $399 and they threw in an extended warranty.

It pays to get the floor model.

We are running a 16 cf Kenmore that will hold 6 cornies, a 20 lb tank and 2 6.5 gal carboys if I load it correctly.

max4677 said:

I don't mean to answer for Ed, but it looks like a temp probe submerged in water and a tub of desiccant.

max4677 said:

One is a container that holds water or the material inside of ice packs. By submerging your temperature probe into that it keeps the freezer from turning on everytime you open it.

The container on the far right is Damp-Rid. It helps pull the condensation/moisture from the air.

Mine is 23 cu ft and I can hold 10 cornys, 4 5 gal carboys and my 20lb tank.
Honestly I hate wasting so much horizontal space using a chest freezer, so I'm working on building one of these!

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

harvestInSTL, i think you just gave the best argument for using 2.5gal cornies.
very cool! :mug:

a couple questions...
-did you reinforce the shelf or is that stock to the fridge?
-what conversions did you do to it? Looks like you just removed the shelves on the door!
-where will you keep the CO2 tank? doesn't look like there is space inside with 10 on tap!

looks great!

HarvInSTL said:
Honestly I hate wasting so much horizontal space using a chest freezer, so I'm working on building one of these!

DSC00028.jpg

Oh my F'ing lord!!! That is the single greatest kegerator I've ever seen!!! Wow, is all I can say:drunk:

(never mind that it would be scary expensive!)

davefleck said:
harvestInSTL, i think you just gave the best argument for using 2.5gal cornies.
very cool! :mug:

a couple questions...
-did you reinforce the shelf or is that stock to the fridge?
-what conversions did you do to it? Looks like you just removed the shelves on the door!
-where will you keep the CO2 tank? doesn't look like there is space inside with 10 on tap!

looks great!
Those are 5gal cornys!

I haven't built it yet. Those are stock photos from a company that makes and sells them for about $3.5k :drunk:

http://www.koolkeg.com/pages/Homebrew Models/other_homebrew_pictures.htm

Best I can tell is they built the middle shelf, removed the shelves on the door and drilled a line for the CO2. When I talked to them they said they can either built it with the CO2 tank outside and you get all 10 taps, or they can put it on the inside and you lose 1 keg/tap.

Here is some more info I dug up when I started researching this.

Tt is a freezerless fridge. I have found the exact model @ Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy & Sears. Average price is about $500 before coupons.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=180051-2251-FRU17B2JW&lpage=none

012505218514.jpg

wow! 5 Gal cornies!!!!
50 gallons of beer in one fridge!

their price is a bit on the absurd side but now knowing it can be done...
just need to buy a house so i can put it somewhere.

My chest freezer is 8.4 cu. ft. and can hold four cornies if I place the CO2 tank inside - five if I decide to place it outside (I'm currently converting it.)

Keep an eye on Craig's List. That's where I got mine. Monkey-Wards unit for $75 and it was in like-new condition. It's quiet as hell, too. Wish I could find another one like it!

Those are stock photos from a company that makes and sells them for about $3.5k

Wow, it goes for $3,795 plus tax. At that price, the least they could do is use forward sealing faucets instead of the cheap ones.

EdWort said:
Wow, it goes for $3,795 plus tax. At that price, the least they could do is use forward sealing faucets instead of the cheap ones.

At that price it should come with hookers!

EdWort said:

With forward sealing faucets, I've priced out my build to be between $1100-$1200 which does not include kegs.

I was just surfing craigslist today and saw a stand up freezer that looked very similar. I thought to myself...Self, you could do that, build a shelf and get at least 8kegs in there. Freezer was only $50. I've got the kegs already....hmmmm...

:ban:

im not really how big mine is it was a freebee, its an old armana i think i counted out i could hold around 9-10 cornies with the collar on (2 on the hump and 8 in the bottom) and with on the outside,

Picture047-1.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

Picture045-1.jpg

For right now I have the freezer "sealed" with double sided duct tape and then a bunch of bungee cords holding it shut. For the first time the fridge was not running when I went outside, but there still is a lot of condensation around the freezer door. It doesn't help that the temps here (near Philly) have gone back up to the mid 70s and fairly high humidity and the things is out on my porch.

I still plan on going to the scratch and dent, if if the finances allow I think I will get something in the 9 cu ft range. I think that will serve me pretty well for the reasonable future and still allow room for expansion.

Mines a 9.0 cu. Got it from best buy. Holds 4 5 gallon cornies and 2 3 gallon cornies and a few bottles of wine for SWMBO

DSC04871.JPG

DSC04873.JPG

DSC048112.JPG

Rhoobarb said:
Hey blefferd, is that PBR I see in your freezer?!:drunk: ;)

LOL it sure is :) that current spot is taken up by Natural Light right now though LOL i drink way to much beer to buy the good stuff, and all my homemade stuff is carbing/conditioning right now!

attitude said:
Mines a 9.0 cu. Got it from best buy. Holds 4 5 gallon cornies and 2 3 gallon cornies and a few bottles of wine for SWMBO

Hey, attitude, your freezer looks a lot like mine on the inside. What size CO2 tank do you have in there?

blefferd said:
LOL it sure is :) that current spot is taken up by Natural Light right now though LOL i drink way to much beer to buy the good stuff, and all my homemade stuff is carbing/conditioning right now!

Oh man! You need to get to brewing more, ASAP. You keep drinking that crap and you'll end up spawning babies with square bodies and big, gelatinous heads!:D

I just picked up a 7cu/ft at Costco last night. Appears I can fit about 4 5gal cornies and the 10lb tank no problem. With some modifications I can imagine fitting 6 kegs with the tank outside.

Back