First time cider, wrote to local orchard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I was looking to use real, fresh, local cider for my first hard cider attempt. I wrote to the orchard up the street from me and asked if thier cider is pasteurized and if it has sorbate added since I have read these are both things to avoid. I quickly go the following reply:

"Our cider is flash pasteurized and contains nothing but fresh pressed apples. No additives or preservatives."

I am assuming this means it is ideal for hard cider making, no?

Also, on the suggestion of the LHBS guy I like, I am using a champagne yeast. Any reason not to?

The juice should be fine to use. If you want your cider to have a dry finish, I would go ahead and use the champagne yeast. If you want it a bit sweeter, go for an ale yeast like nottingham. HTH :)

This is what the orchard that I got my cider from said, that it was flash pasteurized. So I got two gals of apple, and 2 half gals of peach and red raspberry cider. Watch out though!! I found that after putting in a half lbs of corn sugar into the half gals that the SG read 84-90 thats 11-13% ABV. I am going to use the nottingham yeast on everything. I hope this is ok. I think Ill go get two more and of the peach and raspberry and just add yeast to it. I think I will make this a recipe topic.

Back