Whirlpooling without a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eobie

Reaction score
Just bought a 10 Gallon kettle and picked up the side pick-up/whirlpool tube from bargainfittings. Is 10 or so turns with a paddle after cooling enough to create a decent cone. Would like advice before I clog the tube and stab myself in the eye! :rockin:

I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but you should consider boiling with your hops in a hop bag. That being said, I don't think you need to move things too much to get a good cone going.

I had a whirlpool self-sustaining for a while after maybe 7-10 stirs around the edges near the end of my boil. The boil would bubble up the middle, then the whirlpool would open up for a few seconds, then bubbles, then whirlpool opened up, over and over.

It was so cool I showed my kids. They thought it was awesome.

I've never counted the number of turns I've made, I just use my spoon to get a good "whirl" going and then let it go. After 20-30 minutes there is a nice trub cone in the bottom of the kettle.

I had a whirlpool self-sustaining for a while after maybe 7-10 stirs around the edges near the end of my boil. The boil would bubble up the middle, then the whirlpool would open up for a few seconds, then bubbles, then whirlpool opened up, over and over.

It was so cool I showed my kids. They thought it was awesome.

Yeah I saw some videos of that on youtube. I'll be using an immersion chiller though so my whirlpool has to be post cool down.

Thanks for the info guys!

Yeah I saw some videos of that on youtube. I'll be using an immersion chiller though so my whirlpool has to be post cool down.

Thanks for the info guys!

Not necessarily. You can get it going as you are close to the end of your boil, that doesn't hurt. My friend does this all the time religiously.

Latest posts

Back