How old were you when you started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the PNW, they start young and just keep going. Last spring, a guy showed up at the Oregon Brew Crew meeting to sign up. This was the day after his 21st birthday. He had a 4 year old barley wine he brought to share, that he had made. Said he started at 13, because ... he couldn't buy beer legally.

Nice BW as I remember.

Out of curiosity... do the residents still vandalize and take down those "Entering Houston" signs when you drive into Kingwood?

Windaria said:
Out of curiosity... do the residents still vandalize and take down those "Entering Houston" signs when you drive into Kingwood?
You mean those signs with the green border and big shotgun holes in the middle? Why would we mess with those? :confused: :D

I cut teeth on grandma's keg charred moon. Step granddad was a "runner". Started making wine at 15 till about age 30. I was 54 when I started brewing beer.

Wow -- reviving an 8 year old thread!

My first beer was at 2 YO (My grandfather fed them to me to keep me quiet. Since he was a doctor, they must have been medicinal).

My first homebrew (someone elses) I was 36.

My first time brewing, I was 50.

I was 25 and introduced to brewing by a friend in Switzerland. I was hooked. Been brewing on my own for the last 4 years.

For my 31st birthday, this past May my wife bought me a nice beginners kit from a lhbs. I am soon realizing I will be pouring money into this hobby for a long time.cheers

I started at age 41. I'm 42 now. Just coming up on the one year anniversary of my first brew. It's crazy how much I've learned in one year. Even scarier is to have all the notes and realize how much beer I have drank in that year.

I had my first taste of beer when I was about 10 years old. I started homebrewing at 29, I'm now 31. My 3 hobbies are brewing, guitar and modding my f150 truck. They are all money pits but bring so much joy to my life!! Cheers!

I started with wine, when I was 21. Then quickly decided to brew, also when I was 21. I'm 33 now, but took a 5 year hiatus ending 3 years ago. Now I'm addicted to the process again!

unionrdr said:
I cut teeth on grandma's keg charred moon. Step granddad was a "runner". Started making wine at 15 till about age 30. I was 54 when I started brewing beer.

I would like to give a congratulations to uniondr for what has to be a record for resurrecting the oldest zombie thread on HBT. Impressive, sir.

I started when I was 23. I wonder how many brewer's went on hiatus after the birth of their first born?

First beer at 18. I was a good boy in high school, but my love affair with beer began my very first night at college...

Made my first homebrew at 28, just turned 35 a few days ago...

As for the quoted portion, I made beer the weekend after my first child was born. I have three now (all under the age of 6), and still brew. So it CAN be done!

I started brewing at 22, and I have little to no idea when I had my first beer... If I had to guess I would say 15 or 16.

I beat Union by a couple of years.
On which part?:drunk:
I would like to give a congratulations to uniondr for what has to be a record for resurrecting the oldest zombie thread on HBT. Impressive, sir.

Oh man,I didn't pay attention to that. Weird that I didn't go back several pages either. I must've been looking for something else & found this one,forgetting where I was?...or maybe a link to part of a new/old discussion?
Oh well,it's still pertinent.

Oh man,I didn't pay attention to that. Weird that I didn't go back several pages either. I must've been looking for something else & found this one,forgetting where I was?...or maybe a link to part of a new/old discussion?
Oh well,it's still pertinent.

Heh, I don't even see other posts by the OP after Jan of 2006.

I started serious cider and wine at 12 out of curiosity, circa 1969. Brewed beer at 15. I kind of wondered about possible family members being runners. Personally I invoke the 5th (amendment, not bottle).

I haven't bought a BMC since 1995. I'm 56 now and still going strong working woods, fields and construction. A bit slower mayhap but still effective and deliberate. Goes to show you what a little high quality home brew can do for you.

I started serious cider and wine at 12 out of curiosity, circa 1969. Brewed beer at 15. I kind of wondered about possible family members being runners. Personally I invoke the 5th (amendment, not bottle).

I haven't bought a BMC since 1995. I'm 56 now and still going strong working woods, fields and construction. A bit slower mayhap but still effective and deliberate. Goes to show you what a little high quality home brew can do for you.

I started making wine at 15,which was 1971. Dad used to brag to friends & relatives that visited how good it was & would have me dig out a bottle. I didn't start on beer till age 54,3 years ago now. I got worked too hard for too long,doing manual labor since I was a kid. Ford finished the job. I can barely walk with a cane now. I dug out a basement with a matic washtub & shovel when I was in 5th grade. Not the kinda job a kid should get stuck with. My luck I guess.

First beer at 10, a bud heavy. Thought it was the worse thing I had ever tasted. Guess like I had good taste in beer even then! Started brewing at 22 and I'm 27 now.

Back