Thoughts on using champagne yeast on a stuck saison.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my first saison. First, some info about the recipe. It is the Northern Brewer extract kit, and I am using the Wyeast 3726 private collection Farmhouse Ale. After reading Brewing Classic Styles, I decided to start fermentation at 68 and slowly move up to 82 over the course of a few days.

The beer started at 1.056 and has now been at 1.016 for three days. I have heard that these belgian yeasts slow way down, and if left alone for a month or so, it will attenuate. However, I don't like the idea of keeping my fermentation fridge at 82 degrees for a month, and Jamil does say you can use champagne yeast to get it to finish.

So, this is my plan. I want this beer to be well under 1.010. I have a dry pack of champagne yeast that I want to use. In an episode of The Jamil Show on Brewing Network, Jamil does say that if you do this, you need to get the yeast going in a starter first, otherwise the alcohol will shock the yeast they will just die. So, I am going to make a 1L starter with about half of the pack on a stir plate, in the fridge so it will be the same temp. After 24 hours I will rack to a secondary (I want to harvest the 3726) and add the starter. Does this sound OK? I have never done this before and any tips would be appreciated.

That sounds like it should work fine. You could also try using some Brett in it too, if you wanted.

That sounds like it should work fine. You could also try using some Brett in it too, if you wanted.

I definitely want to try a brett saison in the future. I want to get this recipe down first though. I am really happy with this yeast so far. The belgian flavors/aroma are incredible.

Just be aware that wine yeast cannot ferment maltose and maltotriose sugars. With very, very few exceptions, wine yeast will kill the beer yeast do to it's positive competitive factor (they are known as "killer" strains).

Wine yeast is no better at fermentation than beer yeast, they are the same species, their real advantage would be in high alcohol environments. There is an enzyme you can use with wine yeast that will chop the maltose into fermentable pieces.

I have never tried this but you could try some 3711. That yeast will chew through almost anything.

from the Wyeast website...

YEAST STRAIN: 3711**|**French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

I've had the same problem with my second batch of Saison de Noel Northern Brewer extract kit and the Wyeast Farmhouse Ale 3726. The first batch Saison was so good I tried it again, but and it (stuck at 1.023). I've been keeping at about 80 degrees and it's stalled. I pitched another packet but it bubbled for one day and gave up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I was informed a refractometer doesn't work well after fermentation has started. I hadn't accounted for the alcohol, and after checking with hydrometer found it was finished.

Latest posts

Back