Lost most of my vial.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Carefully opened my vial of White Labs this morning. Opened very slowly but still managed to lose about 1/2 of the vial do to foaming out of the cap. I added the rest to a 1 quart starter.

Will this be enough yeast in the starter to grow into enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch. This is only my second time using White Labs. I remember some pressure last time (a year ago), but did not have it boil out as much.

Thanks,

Mookie

I experienced the same issue, Im sure the yeast will reproduce for your 5 gallon batch. Next time try just gently rocking it back and forth instead of a violent shake. Even with some spilling out you have enough. Plus they will reproduce more yeasties when you add them to the 5 gallon batch. Don't worry about it to much.

Yes, it will be enough. Yeast love to reproduce and pitching a half vial into a quart starter is plenty. Remember than many brewers pitch a full vial into 5 g. of beer without a starter and make fantastic beer. Stepping up the starter should not be necessary.

Also, I like to gently shake the vials, pour a bit off the top into the starter, recap, and only then shake them like a madman to avoid such situations.

Back