Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a 9 pound brisket ready for Saturday.

Also trying my hand at curing pork belly to make some peppered bacon this weekend. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398992316.384090.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398992328.874406.jpg

SWMBO's been asking me to cook something on the smoker (she's pretty cool that way) so I think I'll grab some baby backs and smoke 'em up on Saturday or Sunday.

Smoked a couple racks of baby back last night. I just learned about this thread, which is awesome! No pics but I'll be sure to take pics of the next effort.

I think I over did it with the ribs. I used a Bobby Flay dry rub recipe, wrapped them tight in foil and put them in the oven at 195 for 3 hours. I then put them in my gas smoker with cherry wood chips for an hour, then finished them off on the grill. Where I screwed up was that I mopped them with Rufus Teague Blazin' Hot sauce, a bbq sauce SWMBO and I really love. Loved the sauce, but it totally masked not only the dry rub but also the smoke.

I'm kind of a newbie to smoking meats, so hopefully I'll get some good tips from this thread!

Smoking up the first steelhead my son caught. I forgot the before pics but ill post the final product tonight

Set it on the counter to cool while I went to get a starter going, came back to this and a teenager saying "what, I caught it"

Smoked a couple racks of baby back last night. I just learned about this thread, which is awesome! No pics but I'll be sure to take pics of the next effort.

I think I over did it with the ribs. I used a Bobby Flay dry rub recipe, wrapped them tight in foil and put them in the oven at 195 for 3 hours. I then put them in my gas smoker with cherry wood chips for an hour, then finished them off on the grill. Where I screwed up was that I mopped them with Rufus Teague Blazin' Hot sauce, a bbq sauce SWMBO and I really love. Loved the sauce, but it totally masked not only the dry rub but also the smoke.

I'm kind of a newbie to smoking meats, so hopefully I'll get some good tips from this thread!

You want the smoke to go into the meat before you foil them if you foil them at all.

Wow, that looks good. I've always struggled with briskets and moisture for some reason. Whats the magic temp. you pull off the smoker at?

the hardest lesson i learned about brisket, is to forget about temp. it's about all about how tender it FEELS. Dont get me wrong, i check temp - but mainly to know when it's time to start probing it to see if it is tender enough to pull off the smoker.

the hardest lesson i learned about brisket, is to forget about temp. it's about all about how tender it FEELS. Dont get me wrong, i check temp - but mainly to know when it's time to start probing it to see if it is tender enough to pull off the smoker.

Agreed. Although, I try to make sure I pull my briskets at ~195F. If I have an insane stall period (which happens for not for 3 hours), that temperature is perfect.

If, for example, I had a 3-hour stall, I'd definitely check the brisket every 30 minutes or so to ensure it's not drying-out on the outside while I'm waiting for the inside to get to the desired temp.

How many of you foil your brisket?

I've foiled when all I have access to is USDA Choice, and the ones I've done that were Prime left unfoiled to get better bark. I figure (right or wrong, and based on a limited sample size) that Prime has enough marbling to help keep it moist without foiling.

Turkey meatballs are going on over a little oak.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399318062.395654.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just pulled a slab of buckhorn bacon out of the cure, rinsed, and now air drying. I will smoke it while I brew tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Gonna pit BBQ some country style ribs with this whiskey sauce they make at my son's 2nd job. It has a little white lightnin' in it. Doin' some corn & taters too.

Well,barely got 46 of those country ribs in my pit yesterday with ash wood on the coals. The whiskey BBQ sauce caramelized into something more like that sauce with sesame in it. But a little piquant. Mixed well with the light smokiness of the ash wood & SNPA. Roasted sweet corn & huge taters smothered in butter rounded things out. Juicy ribs,being the two-toned pink pork that was well marbled.:mug:

Did a 5.5# Sirloin Tip Roast yesterday on the GMG, came from one of the cows we raised last year. We don't buy beef in the stores any more...

Rubbed with a Paul Kirk derivative, using some waaaay hot paprika a friend brought from Istanbul.

Apple pellets, set at 325, pull and foil at 130 internal. We'll be having sandwiches, au jus, etc for a week. :D

Back