First brew in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CT-Mike

Reaction score
So I just finished the first batch, an English Brown Ale that I added 2# of honey to after the boil. The OG was a little high, 1.060, target was 1.045-1.049. Was this due to the honey? Anyhow I added enough water to bring it down to within band. This ended up giving me about 5.5 gallons.

Hopefully everything turned out alright. We'll see in a couple of weeks I guess.

I know the advice is to RDWHAHB, but this is my first batch so I had to settle for a Honey Brown. Plan is to leave it In primary for 4 weeks, then rack to secondary for another 3-4 weeks, then bottle.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks,

Mike

I hope your water was pre boiled or you don't have chlorine in your water.

We have very good well water, TDS is around 50 ppm, nothing in it but a little bit of silica.

I planned on using a secondary to help with clarity. If not necessary then I won't do it.

phew, good.
I am preparing to dump a batch I added water to.
Too much chlorine.

Well I checked on the fermenter a few hours ago and it was bubbling away happily, less than 24 hours after finishing the boil. That was a comforting sign that I had done things properly.

Back