Tips for handling bulk DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
Ok, this is a creative bunch and somebody's got to have a better handle on this. Just pouring out of a 50# bag to break it down into smaller storage buckets is obviously not a good plan. That powdery sticky cloud goes everywhere. The cat ends up stuck to the dog, the dog's tongue gets glued to the floor. . .

But seriously, seems no matter how carefully I try to handle the stuff (hand scoop/pour slow?) I still have that sticky powder cloud drifting around. Anyone have a brilliant way to do this or is a plastic tarp on the kitchen floor as good as it gets?

My kitchen has a tiled floor, it gets mopped after the brew.

I leave my bulk DME in the box it comes in and portion it out into a large bowl on the weighing scales and then dump it in the boil.

The less contact this stuff has with the water filled air the better so I reckon leaving it in the original container is the only way to go.

I hand scoop it with a large mixing bowl in to 5gal buckets. You have to be very very very gentle/slow with it to minimize the sticky powder cloud, and take a shower afterward to remove the sticky stuff!

I have an air-tight container that I keep my bulk DME in. Unfortionately it will only hold about 40 lbs worth so the first time I filled it I spilled some. It was a horrible mess and I had to mop two or three times to get the floor clean. Such a mess. I have another 50 lb bag that I will need to open this weekend. I am going to take it to the garage and have a friend give me a hand to minimize the mess.

LOL about the shower afterwards! That is so true.

Thought about taking this bag outside or to the garage but it's pretty damp outdoors right now. . .I agree Eoinmag, it wicks the damp right out of the air.

I guess this weekend I'll go with the plastic on the kitchen floor. I'll try to adhere to wyzazz's advise to go slo-o-ow. Maybe I'll make the transfer a 2 homebrew project!

Back