New Victoria grain mill--how to clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llysse

Reaction score
We just got a Victoria grain mill, and it looks good; we're looking forward to using it for the first time in a couple of weeks. However, the mill seems to have a thin but noticeable-to-the-touch coating on the metal, slightly oily. While I haven't tasted it, my sense is that it wouldn't bee good in my beer. ;)

I'm sure the coating protects the metal it's made from, but it seems like it would be a bad idea to simply mill grain through it directly, picking stuff up on the grain to be incorporated into the wort, :eek: eeeyuuurgh. How should are these mills (Victoria, Corona, etc.) be cleaned before they are used for the first time?

All I did was spray mine down thouroghly w/ windex or some sort of degreasing spray cleaner. Then rinsed well w/ hot water and dried well. Seemed very clean after that.

I am no expert, but the directions on mine said to wash it thoroughly with dish soap and water, thoroughly dry, and coat it lightly with vegetable oil, so it does not rust.

Thanks very much--we'll wash and oil (the non-grain-grinding parts). Ours didn't come with any instructions other than a little diagram on one flap of the box illustrating how to assemble it. I wonder if they fell out somewhere?

Latest posts

Back