"The Postman"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
So, I'm relaxing after brewing tonight, watching "The Postman" on Encore... I don't know why this movie gets such a bad wrap, I rather enjoy it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for post apocalyptic subject matter, but really... Rambo III was on earlier, and I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy that a bit too.

On the other hand, I'm indulging in a few pints... the wife got me a case Michelob's craft mix pack. Maybe the sub par pale ale is playing tricks on me, but most of this stuff isn't too bad. So many guilty pleasures, so little time...

Happy Turkey Day all!

Oh, THAT "The Postman". I thought you meant Il Postino, which was infinitely better, but a completely different story.

Not a fan of the Kevin Costner movie. Even Waterworld was better than The Postman.

"Dry land is not a myth!"

I didn't have a problem with either Waterworld or Postman. Both were better than the average sci fi movie made but not top shelf.

I liked The Postman. I thought it was a vastly underrated movie.

Waterworld made my sack hurt it was so bad. Dennis Hopper can only play one character, and post-apocalyptic warlord is not it.

I thought The Postman was pretty good, I enjoyed it. But I still want to know where they got the fresh lemon slices that are floating in the pitcher of lemonade. Last time I checked, lemon trees don't grow in the mountains of Oregon.

I'm a big fan of the postman, it's a great premise. It's a great story of basically a criminal/anti hero becoming a hero. And I love the ending, when civilization is back and they are back to wearing suit and honoring the postman.

I have a vague recollection of reading the original (David Brin?) novel, and he starts out even more "evil" in the book. So it really is one of those stories of redemption in the face of horrendous ness.

If you haven't read Cormac mccarthy's The Road, read it (or see the movie if it ever opens) and compare the two, although The Postman's Apocalyps is pretty cartooney compared to Mccarthy's, the story is similar, at least in defining what as good, as often just being less "bad" than everyone else.

I also like waterworld, another cool premise, and it's cinematically pretty awesome too.

I really think that Kevin Costner gets a bum rap.

I also like waterworld, another cool premise, and it's cinematically pretty awesome too.

+1

Sometimes I wonder if the 'movie media' isn't too close to the 'community' of productions --- projecting what they see and hear in their daily lives onto a productions.

I, for one, do not care how much a movie costs or how much of a great guy or a jerk the actor/producer/director/whoever is. I care that the movie I watch is good.

Example: apocolypto. Mel Gibson had become a huge asshat by the time this was in production but it was a pretty good movie (regardless of any historical accuracy issues)

I liked a lot of Kevin Costner movies and he does get a bum rap. my only problem with him is he can only play Kevin Costner. they should rename his movies to Kevin Costner Hangs out with Indians, Kevin plays golf, Kevin joins the postal service.....

I liked a lot of Kevin Costner movies and he does get a bum rap. my only problem with him is he can only play Kevin Costner. they should rename his movies to Kevin Costner Hangs out with Indians, Kevin plays golf, Kevin joins the postal service.....

Oh yeah, you are right. He is him in all his movies....Kevin Costner busts Al Capone, Kevin Costner investigate the kennedy assasination.....

From way back in 1996? I can't recall ever hearing of it.

Is it any good? (and do you have to give a f@#@ about golf to like it?)

I liked Kevin plays golf a lot. and no, you don't have to care about golf to enjoy the movie.

It's a great flick. Cheech Marin plays his caddy and best friend. One of Costner's better movies since Kevin Costner Plays Minor League Baseball.

Not a fan of the movie but I like movies other seem to hate. Club Dread is one of my favorite comedies ever but I rarely meet people who like it.

Big +1 on Broken Lizard and their vastly under rated Club Dread! Puddle Cruiser was a bit of a let down, I really didn't think it was nearly as funny as any of their other films, but it showcased their ability. I've really enjoyed everything they've done since.

I'm really disappointed that I missed their live show in Detroit last month... but I was at the Michigan Brewer's Guild Harvest Fest. It was a tough call to make, but I think I made the choice, if only by a slim margin.

Back