Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrdhyn

Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating a sanke keg to use as a BK, would there be any reason NOT to pickup something like this aside from the aluminum vs SS debate that I could care less about:

http://www.kitchensupplydirect.com/THU-ALSKSP009.html

I typically brew 5 gallon batches, but this would easily give me the ability to jump to 10g (MLT is already big enough) if/when the fancy struck me, and as far as I can tell should still do fine for 5gallon boils especially if I start with 7-8 gallons post sparge.

If it's anything like the picture shows, it appears to be a high quality pot and the price is very good too. There's nothing wrong with using aluminum kettles with the exception that they might dent and ding more easily. With a little care that should be a non-problem.

It was the thickness/quality I was mainly concerned with. I'm glad to hear it is very similar to what some of you are using with great success. While I originally wanted a keggle after having helped someone else brew a few 10g batches in one, this will most likely be the far easier and cheaper route for me to go.

That is a nice pot. Some prefer pots over keggles...both work well.

I would choose a kettle over a keggle every time if they are of the same size. There are a couple of things I don't like about keggles, although I do have and use one. Keggles are much heavier than most kettles making them somewhat more cumbersome to move around and clean. The bottom rim retains heat long after flame out. I spray water on the rim at flame out to speed the chilling process. This is only practical if you are brewing outside or have a floor drain in your brewing area. The curved bottom of a keggle hinders even heat distribution which may or may not be an issue depending on the system and whether you care about that or not. It's not a big deal. On the plus side for keggles is that they are very, very rugged and nearly indestructable. They are also inexpensive to buy and fairly easy to modify for brewing use.

Looks like the 60 qt I have for my HLT . 4.3 mm is plenty thick my grandson approved it too...

Lucas1.JPG

I am starting to like kettles more and more over keggles I picked up a 120 qt kettle a few months ago and when I do the single tier the 2 keggle I have will be gone.

Back