Helles Bock HBT BJCP comp winning Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beer got brewed nicely, but missed the gravity by 4 points due to almost 2 quarts more liquid, somehow had less boil-off than usual...no biggie i guess.

I brewed this today. Been waiting for a while, but finally got to it. It's only my third all grain and first lager. I have either thrown off my efficiency issues or boiled down too much, or both, as I ended with 5 gallons in the fermenter at a OG of 1.080.

I haven't added yeast yet as I'm waiting to get it down to around 50 in the fermentation chamber. Should I add a half gallon of water with the yeast?

Started this one in early February. I don't have a ferm chamber but was able to keep the fermentation temperature at right about 53F by doing it in my garage (Ohio) with a carboy heater. Also lagered it there for two months and bottled about 3 weeks ago. I'm very pleased with the result! A fermentation chamber is going to be my next project so that I can do these year round.
Maibock (Helles Bock).jpg

I brewed this on 1/13/2019 and mashed at 156. The OG was 1.066 and I pitched a huge starter of wlp 833 at 45 degrees and oxygenated well. Fermentation kicked off in about 20 hours. Its sitting at 48 degrees F now. I will try to remember to report back in late April/early May when I tap it. The recipe looks great and the wort smelled fantastic!

I just tapped this today. Brewed on 1/13 as stated above. Its a wonderful beer! I'm actually going to brew it again mid May. Nice malt aroma with rich flavor. I used all Durst malt in this. The bitterness also seems very much in balance. Excellent.
20190418_153606.jpeg
20190418_153627.jpeg

Looking to brew this, what do folks think about choosing between Omega Bayern and Omega Bock yeasts? I'll have a big cake of Bayern already (when a Helles Exportbier is racked), but I think the Bock is probably a better choice and can make up a big cake of that, in 3 gallon starter, also. Opinions?

Back