Help with Fruit Flavoring in American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallbrew

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some help with my next brew.
Its going to be an American Stout (extract) that I want to add blackberry flavoring or fresh berries too but I have never tried with any of my last brews.
I don't want it to be a complete fruit bomb, just a nice note of flavor. Any tips on quantity of flavoring or fresh berries and procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Recipe:
6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
3 lbs. Munich Malt Extract
1 lb. Crystal Malt (30L)
1 lb. Roasted Barley
1 lb. Pale Chocolate Malt
1 1/2 oz. Cluster Hops
1 oz. Palisades Hops
2 pkgs Safale US-05 American Ale Dry Yeast
???? And Fruit ????

Starting Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.022
Approximate ABV: 7.3%
Gravities are estimated without fruit, how much will this change?

First tip...don't use flavoring. It's nothing like using the real thing. A few of them (like peach and raspberry) are okay, but most aren't.

I would add 2-3 lbs of fresh fruit to your secondary.

2 pounds of fresh/frozen blackberries in the secondary are the way to go. Put them in a bag and give them a week. The ABV will drop slightly.

It will? :confused:

When I've added fruit to my secondary I get additional fermentation and the ABV goes up slightly. I've done this with 6 lbs of cherries in secondary.

See I was thinking the same thing but I have no experience with this. I would think it would increase because of the additional sugar/fermentables.

Back