Paint off Oaked Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
What's the best way to get the paint decorations off a bottle of OAB? I wasn't thinking when I bottled on Sunday and filled all but four of my 12-oz bottles with Weizenbock, leaving only 4 for the stout (the rest went into bombers). I was planning on sending two of these in to a competition, but only one is free of identifying marks. One of them has a Sam Adams signature on it, which I can't do much about, and the other two were Oaked Arrogant Bastard, which has no custom glasswork but has paint right on the bottle, so it looks like I'm stuck trying to clean one of the OAB bottles.

The paint on the bottles is as fresh and unblemished as the day I got them, over a year ago, and a warning on the botttle says the paint contains cadmium. Is there anything I can soak these bottles in to get the paint off? Would some OxyClean do it? Although I believe they are airtight, I'd rather not fully submerge them in anything.

shoot, starsan for 12 hrs will get the white off and you will have to rub off the colors. 24hrs in starsan it should all just come right off.

24 hours starsan and the white rubbed off no problem, had to scrub the red a little and got most of it.

Will scrub the rest tonight, then let 'em sit in the water conditioning at 60, and at drinking time will compare them to the room-temp conditioned bottles.

Latest posts

Back