Scaling down a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintb22

Reaction score
I made a Bourbon Vanilla Porter last Christmas that was out of this world and would like to do it again. This time I am trying to make it a little cheaper and also not as strong. I would like to keep the flavor as much as possible but aim for around 6%-7% ABV instead of 9%-10%. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of lowering the amount of 2 row to lower the ABV. Would this work or would it mess with the flavor of the beer?

Here is the original recipe:

Bourbon Vanilla Porter

Fermentable
11 lbs. Briess 2-Row Pale
1 lbs. Crisp Brown Malt
2 lbs. Briess Munich Malt
1 lbs. Crystal 120L
.5 lbs. Crystal 40L
1 lbs. Briess Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs Roasted 675L

Mash Schedule
156° F for 60 minutes

Boil Additions
1 oz. Northern Brewer 6.5AA (60 min)
1 oz. Kent Goldings 6.0AA(10 min) hop pellets

Secondary
2 oz. US Medium Oak Cubes
16 oz Jim Beam
(3) Madagascar Vanilla Beans split/scrapped

Yeast: US-56

Soaked oak cubes in Bourbon for 2 weeks while beer was in primary. added to secondary. Added 1 vanilla bean split and scrapped to secondary a week for 3 weeks.

This beer :rockin: if anyone wants to try it as is, but my friends can't handle more than 2 pints without falling down :drunk:

I was also thinking about using vanilla extract instead of whole beans does anyone know how much I would use to be equivalent to the 3 whole beans?

Thanks
:mug:

Messing with the recipe is going to screw up to flavor. Maybe not a whole lot, but enough to where it won't be exactly the same.

Back