Harvesting brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennieD

Reaction score
I have a bottle of Ommegang Biere de Mars, & I was thinking about harvesting the yeast from it (Brett). I really dig Victory's Wild Devil Ale, and was thinking about possibly funking up an IPA.

From my research, it seems like I would pitch the brett during secondary. I also read about lots of contamination issues b/c Bretts are hearty little guys, so I'd probably just ferment a small batch in a separate vessel that I don't use for non-brett beers. So I ask:

Does harvesting yeast from this particular beer seem like a good idea?

If it is, how long would you recommend I leave it in secondary?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a new brewer, but I'm feelin really experimenty.:fro:

I've done one pLambic. I made sure to only use glass carboys and any time I used something plastic, like a siphon (porous and might give it a home) I made sure to double sanitize afterwards.

I didn't contaminate the rest of my equipment.

Either that or I did and I just like Brett in everything.:drunk:

Seriously, though, if you are extra meticulous you will probably be okay. If you are paranoid, use segregate your equipment for Bretts.

Bretts are notoriously long fermenters. 6 months, at least, before you sample. If it tastes or smells horrible, wait another 3 or 4 months. Bretts can go though some really funky taste and aroma phases.

I remember tasting my pLambic at one phase and it made me want to retch. 2 months later it tasted great.

Do not repitch yeast at bottling. It will probably increase your risk of bombs. Just let the Bretts and residual original yeast carbonate it. It will probably take several months more and may end up a little undercarbed. But it will be worth it.

There are a lot of guys on here with more experience with Bretts than I do. Wait for some of their replies.

Good luck. Sounds interesting.

I don't really have any experience with Brett, just wanted to say the funky IPA sounds very interesting

Back