Making Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I have used starters on my brews for at least a year now. My last several brews have also re-used yeast collected from a previous brew. This time however, I completely forgot to make the starter. I went to get started brewing yesterday and then remembered to get the bottle out of the fridge. Luckily, the saved yeast was several times the amount of yeast that comes in the vials. But this is the last time I do that. With the starters lag time is not a problem. This time I woke up this morning with still no activity. Chalk one more up in the "I'll never do that again" catagory.

Got home from work and we have activity. :)

I did realize something else stupid about my brew...:eek:

So during brewing I noticed that the color was a little dark. More pale ale than blonde. I checked my initial recipe formulation and found that I gott the wrong color crystal malt! :p I used 35 instead of 15. So my blonde is really a pale ale instead. The name is now officially "The Dumb Blonde" :eek:

Going by the numbers, it's technically still in the "blonde" catagory, just on the very high end of the SRM. It now just sits smack in the middle of American Pale Ale. She may be blonde, but her roots are showing...

Back