Oaked Apfel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notnice

Reaction score
Has anyone aged a little Apfelwein on oak? I have some medium toast French chips sitting on my desk that seems to want to do some work.

Would I
A) Soak in Bourbon or vodka then rinse with sterile water and rack
B) Boil and rack

I'm thinking maybe just a 1/4-1/2 oz for a 1 gal sample. tasting as it goes.

Does this sound like I'm crazy? I just tried some oaked arrogant bastard and went online and ordered some oak to experiment with.

I have wanted to oak some Apfelwein, let us know how it turns out. The vanilla and other oak flavors should blend nicely with the Apfelwein.

I'd steam/boil the oak or vodka it for a nuetral oak favor. Then again I guess Bourbon is oak flavored.

Oaked Bastard will be the next beer I make, it is so good.

I figure ill do it with the vodka soked chips after my current batch of Apfel has cleared. Maybe 1 or 2 more weeks.

And I 2 am planning on a Oaked bastard clone in the future

So after much thought I went with 1\2 oz oak on a gallon of clear apfelwein. I also kicked up a little slurry into the secondary just Incase. Now ill let it sit and taste weekly. Fun fun

1st impression: after 1 week the oak takes away the harsh alc flavor of young apfel. After 2 weeks i think this is the perfect flavor. the oak has more of a fragrance then too much of an oakie taste. I think I'm going to bottle after another week. they say the oak lesions over time so by the time the apfel is ready this should be great. another bonus is the is gives the wine a deeper bronze color then just the apple juice.
now just waiting for the carb drops to come in so i can make 1/2 sparkle.

Update:
After 10 days in the bottle I tried one of the carbed ones to Check the level of carb using 1 coopers carb tab. And i love it, I think as a variation everyone should do an oked batch. I plan to at leas every other regular Apfelwein batch will be siphoned off to a 1 gal or full 5 gal secondary for some oak.

I have a batch cooking right now. After it clears I think I'll give this a try. Its a five gallon batch-what would you recommend? 2 1/2 TO 3 ounces of French Oak? Toasted or not?

I used .75oz in a 1 gal batch for 2 weeks. I would say at lest 3oz for 2 weeks and taste every week after. I know the math doesn't make sence but it seems to be the right mix too much more would seem to be a waste of oak

Back