My chickens ass hurts.........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babalu87

Reaction score
The top egg is the size of an extra large egg

attachment.php

Much better, that is one awesome egg! My largest yet came from one of my buff orpingtons it was about 2 1/2 inches end to end, I forgot to weigh it though.

Buff Orpingtons were some of the best birds we ever had.

Some can be VERY motherly, so much so that she hatched 13 chicks all by herself.
Seems she was hiding eggs in a corrner of the coop. I marked them with a marker figuring I would have to throw them away not knowing if they would be viable.
All 13 eggs stayed in the same spot and she tended them until hatching. We never even fed them, she took care of all that too :rockin:

Then the Raccoons showed up :(
Fixed that with a .22 and a door we can close from the house but the damage was done :mad:

I was really hoping for an awesome story involving some jail bait chick.

this thread has disappointed me.

When you gonna start raising ostriches?

If I had chickens in my yard and the fences were only 4 feet tall and the neighbors all had dogs, would the chickens fly over to the neighbors?

If I had chickens in my yard and the fences were only 4 feet tall and the neighbors all had dogs, would the chickens fly over to the neighbors?

I only have 4 foot fences. The only way they will try to get away, is if you don't provide enough food and they start searching for their own. I have 10 chickens, they free range the back yard, which is about 3/4 acre, it's fenced in with 4 foot chain link, and I have never had a chicken even look at the fence, much less try to get over it. If you are really worried about it, you can clip the tips of the feathers of one wing, that way, if they try to fly they only go in circles, not up.

It's gonna be one dumb chicken to jump out a your yard.
I have chickens in a small yard with 6ft fences. I clip there wings but I'm sure they could clear it if the wanted. It more of an extended jump rather than flight. Keep them fed, watered and happy and they won't want to go any where.
I'd say more to the point can the dogs clear you're fences. One nip from a "Friendly" dog can kill them.

I've only got one laying at present but all of the eggs have been uniform and perfect.
I was expecting the first couple to be small or thin shelled. I had been feeding them layers mash and calcium for a month in advance though.

We raised two chickens from three days old and I got to tell you they were the best pets we've ever owned. They were both white plymouth rocks and we really loved them. We had to put one down (Sally)a little over a year ago and that was tough. She was the more free spirited of the two and she would "explore" the city neighborhood. It was funny to hear neighbors say "We thought we were seeing things" when we'd go looking for her. When she got sick the vet wouldnt treat her but he'd put her down, jag off... We suspect she was egg bound and we couldnt stand to see her suffer so we did what we had to. Our other chicken (Ella) just died Nov. 19, 2008 and that one really hurt. She was three years old and was full of personality as only chicken owners can understand. Any way she was fine and enjoying the new surroundings and the new house we moved into and then all of a sudden she became sick. We brought her in the house and took care of her . She was very lethargic, loosing her balance and passing foul liquids. My wife is a nurse and she told me and the kids, based on the smell of her urine Ella was in renal failure. it was terrible. Our oldest daughter (Ella was her favorite) went to school the next day sad and my wife and I watched Ella go down hill during that time. We didnt think ella would live long enough for our daughter to see and hold her again one last time. Anyway Ella was my first borns chicken and she loved her very much and was taking these events very badly as you would expect. She came home from school, wrapped Ella up in a blanket and took her up to her room. We could hear her crying and telling Ella how much she loved her and didnt want her to die. It was very hard on us to over hear these things. It still hurts writing this. That evening the time came that we had to go out and our daughter had to come with us. She wrapped Ella in a blanket and put her on the couch (she had reached the point where we knew she wasnt going to get up ). When we came home she was dead. It was terrible....... I buried her with tears in my eyes, and I'm not the wishy washy type. We all talked later that Ella waited all day till our daughter came home and loved her up to die. My daughter posted this on another site I'll share it with those who care:
Tribute & Poems

Back