First Root Beer - 1/2 liter water bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to try a batch of root beer with my son using champagne yeast and extract. My homebrew shopkeep recommended I use plastic bottles I was wondering if 1/2 liter water bottles worked well, creating individual servings, as we don't have many 2 liter bottles kicking around. The plastic of the water bottle is a little thinner than a 2 liter, but I don't know how significant that might be. Any thoughts?

I'm about to try a batch of root beer with my son using champagne yeast and extract. My homebrew shopkeep recommended I use plastic bottles I was wondering if 1/2 liter water bottles worked well, creating individual servings, as we don't have many 2 liter bottles kicking around. The plastic of the water bottle is a little thinner than a 2 liter, but I don't know how significant that might be. Any thoughts?

I'd use 20 ounce soda bottles. Water bottles are thinner, and not designed to hold carbonation. They might blow up easily.

I just brewed up a root beer batch and put it in a host of different bottles. I used 2L and 500 ml soda bottles, wide-mouth 500 ml Gatorade bottles, and 500 ml water bottles. The water bottles worked ok at keeping the carb, but their thinness caused the bottom of the bottle to push outwards so the bottom was convex. You couldn't stand the bottles up. My advice - it will work...just get some 6-pack holders or something to stand them up in the fridge.

Back