First ever IPA. -- Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matchrocket

Reaction score
OK, with the price of hops these days, I would like to get some feed back on an IPA before I dive in and give it ago.

6.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 72.73 %
1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12.12 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 12.12 %
0.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.03 %
1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 42.9 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.18 %
Bitterness: 54.7 IBU

I have some WLP007 in a tube and a package of Safale US-05 and I am torn on which one to use. I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada Big Foot and the Anniversary ale's, so I think the WLP007 would be my better bet.

Thoughts?

i like the hops and the times. i like Centennial for dry hopping. not sure but i think Munich malt has to be mashed, not just steeped? someone correct me if i'm wrong.

as far as yeast....anymore i use dry yeast for PA/IPA's. but if you have a tube of WLP007, might as well go for it, is that the yeast used by SN for the Big Food and Anniversary ale?

After some more digging, and paying a bit more attention to Beersmith, your correct, the Munich does need to be mashed. I haven't ventured into partial-mash quite yet so I change a few things up.

2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 20.83 % -> keep me in the 6% range I am going for.
6.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 68.75 % -> Per beer smiths recommendation as a substitute for Munich Malt

Sierra Nevada mentions an "Top Fermenting Ale Yeast" on the website, given the OG of the beers I mentioned, its probably something similar.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Sierra Nevada mentions an "Top Fermenting Ale Yeast" on the website, given the OG of the beers I mentioned, its probably something similar.

Thanks for the feedback!!

All ale yeast is top fermenting. I'd go with the US-05

Also, make sure you put how much wort you will be boiling into beersmith. Smaller boils reduce hop utilization.

Back