yeast washing (photo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellfireSam

Reaction score
Hi!
today I've tryed to do a yeast washing...that's the result after 1 hour

recupero01.jpg

what's the white layer in the bottom of the jar ???
and where is the yeast layer?

how did you wash the yeast? I have never done that.

When seperating yeast to save for freezing, I just take my jar full of yeast and trub and shake/swirl it to get everything in suspension. Most of the trub will settle out fast. I'll pour the liquid part containing most of the good yeast and some trub into another sanitized jar and repeat the process until I get a fine layer of white yeast collecting on the bottom. This is what I use to freeze with my glycerin mix.

I have never tried to acid wash my yeast. I'll buy more before I go through that expense and trouble.

You seem to have a lot of trub in your jar, yet , Sam. There sould be just one layer on the bottom (yeast) if you have gotten all the other assorted little goodies out of there. I honestly don't know what those two layers on the bottom are. The yeast should be the last thing that settles out, (that's the idea behind washing yeast) so you would think it would be on top of the trub, but I don't see it in the picture. Hmmmm...........

boo boo said:
This is what I use to freeze with my glycerin mix.
What's your procedure for freezing? I've started using test tubes, but I'm not sure if it's going well. How much glycerin are you using?

mr x said:
What's your procedure for freezing? I've started using test tubes, but I'm not sure if it's going well. How much glycerin are you using?

Well I have been using test tubes also until I got some of those vials they make the 2 litre pop bottles out of. New caps and I'm off to the races.
The procedure I use to freeze is http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html here.
The lack of fresh liquid yeast has forced me to this and I have found it rewarding.

Bernie Brewer said:
so you would think it would be on top of the trub, but I don't see it in the picture. Hmmmm...........

that's the reason why I've ask for help :D

Back